Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 93 MX62.5 L V6 runs great, but I have a few quirks with it (1) the air bag light lights up twice then pause short then lights twice again, then long pause, then it does it all again, what would that mean, as it has been in 2 very minor fender benders literally! (2) I have an alarm system that works just as soon as you turn the key, in either door, it triggers the alarm, but before I replaced the pass door due to being hit there and replacing door and latch assembly, it would unlock the car without triggering the alarm.Would the problem be I need 2 GOOD door latch assemblies that will not trigger the alarm?Or does there need a special locking assembly, as I used a 96 door and lock assembly as replacement.The car runs great and drives great and am about to paint it after I get my other mx6 painted which is already sanded and ready ,(almost) for paint and reassembly. All help will be greatly appreciated.Thank You Dave H.

·
Super Moderator
2,655 Posts
Step 1 - get rid of the aftermarket alarm system, you are seeing the results of a bad installation
Step 5 - Once you've deleted the aftermarket system, you will be in good shape to change out the door

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Step 1 - get rid of the aftermarket alarm system, you are seeing the results of a bad installation
Step 5 - Once you've deleted the aftermarket system, you will be in good shape to change out the door
It is a factory security system!
I know as it is the same as my other MX6 security system, and the call sheet on the car states it has a factory security system.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I did not explain it good enough, before I got hit in pass door and rear quarter panel, the pass lock would arm and disarm the factory security system, but the drivers door will not disarm the security system, it sets it off Everytime, but it will arm the factory alarm system.After replacing pass door and latch, but used original wiring, and now it arms the alarm system but does not disarm it, it sets the alarm system off Everytime I unlock the door using outside door lock with key of course.I just want alarm system to work properly, so is it the latch that triggers the alarm system or is it the lock in the handle?
Thanks for all your help!DaveH

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know about you, but I disabled both of my systems. The air bag light was flashing a short circuit code and I wasn't going to pay someone to search for it. I tried for a while, never could find it. I took out the air bag module and the warning light. The security alarm worked most of the time, but I got tired of that going off once in a while. It is straight forward to disable it and not difficult to.

It sounds like you really enjoy these cars, having had so many of them. I have enjoyed mine for 23 years. Just last month I was shocked to find a 1994 at a junkyard. Someone had been there before me, but I harvested a few parts from it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You can disarm it if you want to by disconnecting the wires at the front of the hood. I never thought these alarm systems do much to stop a theft anyway. And when a loud noise goes off, cars in parking lots sing like a choir.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can disarm it if you want to by disconnecting the wires at the front of the hood. I never thought these alarm systems do much to stop a theft anyway. And when a loud noise goes off, cars in parking lots sing like a choir.
Yes you are right, but here in Ohio, they are stealing them daily,I was warned by a Ohio State Patrolman who also owns a MX6, He saw my license plate "MX6" and pulled me over to warn me about the thefts, so I want the alarm working as it sits directly outside of my bedroom window!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where is the list of definitions for air bag light sequence light signal, the number of flashes and what it means is wrong.I would love to find out what the number means.Is there a way to reset the air bag system? Thanks Dave H

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The airbag code you mention would be code 22, 2 long flashes then 2 short flashes. Code 22 is "safing sensor: output shorted to battery voltage."
I checked online and you can mail in your air bag module and they will rebuild it and remove the codes it has for $39.00, my question is, where is the air bag module, as mechanics who worked on my car , made off with my books on my MX6!

·
Registered
255 Posts
It is underneath the drivers side panel. It is a small blue rectangular object. If you have this code, it seems like it would make more sense to find what is causing it and correct it. Then I believe the code will go away. I don't see why the air bag box needs to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If I could find out where and what a safing sensor is or was, I would fix it, but I have tried to find it and have come ip with nothing, I am hoping someone on here l ows what it is by chance.Thank You. BTW The company that told me to send my air bag module in, emailed me to say they do not work on my year of module.Go figure!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I checked online and you can mail in your air bag module and they will rebuild it and remove the codes it has for $39.00, my question is, where is the air bag module, as mechanics who worked on my car , made off with my books on my MX6!
I have the same issue with my 93 MX6. Can anyone tell me the online citation for this "air bag module repair"? Last time I checked, the company was no doing so anymore. Thanks, TMT

1 - 20 of 23 Posts