Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a book for the Mazdamx6 but I cannot find out where the darn ECU is on a 93 MX6 as I think it may be the problem as the car ran fine but still had minor hla noise,but when I started it back up it instantly was missing, I had put a fuse in for radio, I thought the ignition was off, but it wasn't,so I wonder if I messed the ECU up?Please help.

·
Registered
1992, Mazda MX-6 2.5L V6
89 Posts
If memory serves me correctly its under the ash tray where the cigarette lighter is. You need to take off the top front dash trim that goes from the ash tray and radio upwards around the speedo cluster. I can't remember if you have to take off the sides near the foot area on each side of the ash tray centre area but I am sure it would really help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found this in a post from 2002, wow, long ago!!

If u mean the central processor - Lift up the e-brake all the way, pull off the black fascia with the change tray, then the ashtray. Ir is held in a cradle by only 2 srews. Make sure you use a sharphead phillips, for some reason the left screw on all mx6's is torqued more than the right, so don't give up if it gives you trouble. Then just unclip the 2 harness and you can pull out the ecu.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this in a post from 2002, wow, long ago!!

If u mean the central processor - Lift up the e-brake all the way, pull off the black fascia with the change tray, then the ashtray. Ir is held in a cradle by only 2 srews. Make sure you use a sharphead phillips, for some reason the left screw on all mx6's is torqued more than the right, so don't give up if it gives you trouble. Then just unclip the 2 harness and you can pull out the ecu.
Can these just go bad 1 second then boom, won't run correctly, or do they go bad and won't let car start, I am out on the cold here,,disabled and just getting better after transplant and then this happens, I am lucky I have a Harley also!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Although possible for then to fail and in different ways, an ECU fails little enough without a bad input, such as something hooked up wrong, that i would expect it to be something else before just throwing a new ECU at it...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well the guys at FS1 tell me having my door open, the ignition on and putting in the fuse which controls the security system and the overhead light and radio, with door open and ignition on it was to much for old ecu, they checked it and that's what went bad, so I have a new PCM/ecu, crankshaft sensor, timing chain w/ tensioner and water pump and distributor, before I had problems, all mechanics say I have bad HLA's, due to noise under rear valve cover, but after new timing belt and tensioner the motor is quiet and no sound from rear valve cover, so a bad belt and tensioner can cause the terrible noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts