Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm trying to pit a worth on my car as I'm looking into Classic Car insurance. Everything on the car is original and it's pristine condition.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper

Hood Azure Aqua Motor vehicle Font

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good question. Might want to call your insurance agent on that. Even though you might put a policy for $10,000 ( just a random number ), I doubt if anything happens to your car they will just give you that amount.
Last time I was in an accident in 1993, they would not give me the value of my car, they gave me a lower amount and said I could buy another one for that amount, even though blue book value was higher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. Might want to call your insurance agent on that. Even though you might put a policy for $10,000 ( just a random number ), I doubt if anything happens to your car they will just give you that amount.
Last time I was in an accident in 1993, they would not give me the value of my car, they gave me a lower amount and said I could buy another one for that amount, even though blue book value was higher.
I managed to get collector insurance and got the car insured for $10,500

·
Registered
57 Posts
good to know. So you are able to get an agreed upon price of payout if something happens to your car? I might want to do that also. It would be very difficult to replace my car with the same thing. And I am sure if something happened they would low ball me. The prices of replacement for any car right now has skyrocket. Right now I am looking for a good condition 1989-93 B2200. In decent shape I am looking at well over $5000. Two years ago it would have been about $2,000-$3,000.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Defining the Difference
Here are the general rules for distinguishing between classic cars, antique cars, and vintage cars:
  • Usually, to have the title of a classic car, the vehicle will need to be at least 20 years old.
  • Antique cars are over 45 years old.
  • Vintage cars are built between 1919 and 1930.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have four cars. The younger being 2008, the elder being 1987. Two are legally titled in Virginia as 'antique.' I have been thru the 'insurance claim' hurdle several times. I have found that as long as one can show maintenance, upkeep, repairs, replacements expenses, the accident/theft damages are covered up to your policy limits ... the point being that ... if my 1987 Jeep were damaged/stolen ... the 'value' is not necessarily "blue-book' .. but is what you can successfully argue as 'blue-book-plus-the-added-value-of-such-upkeep.' Yes, it depends upon your persuasive abilities ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts