Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my 1993 MX6 and found that the spare tire well in the trunk was filled with water. The trunk obviously has a leak somewhere, but all of the gaskets around the trunk seem ok and the rear window seal seems ok. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this, or how to test where the water is coming in from. I noticed that there is a TSB (technical service bulletin) listed for this problem on cartalk.com, but they don't show the actual TSB itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
358 Posts
I found the same thing - about an inch of water at the bottom of the spare tire well, the day after I purchased my '93 MX6. I drained all the water and now, 5 months later and after several rainy days, I haven't noticed any more water accumulation. I figure the previous owner must have put some wet things in the trunk or left it open in the rain, and never bothered checking under the spare for water. So if your're as lucky as I was, you don't have a leak at all.
I think I have heard of water leaking through the tail lights, so you might want to check those out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my '93 mx6. I found a pool of water in the spare tire well. I found out that the previous owner had had a spoiler installed. I determined that the water was coming from the middle bolt on the spoiler, where it attaches to the trunk lid. I have not yet fixed the problem. I plan to take the spoiler off and use rubber washers on the underside. I will put steel washers over them, so that when i tighten the nuts, the rubber washers will not tear. Hopefully, the washers will squeeze up into the holes on the trunk lid and seal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had some trouble with water leaking into my trunk when I
bought my 93 mx-6 three months ago. The water got inside via
those black plastic clips that fastens the taillight.
Some silicon and a healthy dose of determination fixed that.

/Jon.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
i have this to say mine does the same thing i have a 93 and i think that it comes from below, through a hole in the bottom of the truck, some how it is a hole under there and it splashes water up in there when it rains from the rode and it get all the stuff wet in there, cause none of the stuff on top is wet at all that is my idea

G

·
How I determined leak location

I have a '94 with a spoiler and mine too was leaking from the middle bolt, causing my tire iron to rust and the spare tire compartment to be permanently orange.

I determined the leak location by taking everything out of the trunk and lining it with paper towels, held together by tape. After the next rainstorm, it was easy to see that in my case, the water was coming from above. One rubber bushing, and I have not noticed any water since.

G

·
i have the same problem with my 94 i noticed it the day after i got it,it seems like mine only dose it when its cold,if its hot i have no problem at all even in a bad rainstorm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.