Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '96 626 the upholstery around the door handles is unsticking and pulling away from the door card. I have tried gluing it back on but I can't make a very good job of it I am sorry to say. Looks pretty amateurish.

This is the oval shaped vinyl shape and it is glued around the edges to a gap in the door panel itself. Has anybody found a better way of dealing with this phenomenon. So far the passenger's side doors, both front and rear are pulling away and falling down around themselves and my 'fix' looks worse than the problem.

Has anybody found a better way?
2020-09-13 23.47.19.jpg
2020-09-13 23.47.06.jpg

·
Registered
86 Posts
What sort of glue are you using? I want to start by saying I have no idea - I haven't done a door card before, but I have re-felted a pool table and done some minor upholstery on furniture. I have always used 3M-77 glue on both sides, it has a pretty strong tack, so you can stretch the fabric a bit as you're moving it along. As near as I can tell, the secret is to stretch the right parts the right amount in the right spot - with vinyl, some heat would probably help as well.

Hopefully someone with a little more experience can chime in as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do use 3M-77 and did use it for the rear door. I did have that door card off but I tried to do the front door while still attached and it shows it. You can see the slit where the upholstery is supposed to be stuffed into in the front door picture. I was trying to get an idea of an alternative using some kind of upholstery pins or something like that. What is there is now too large to fit but it is hard to pull it tight. I did not use heat however. Thank you for that thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts