Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving down the highway and all of a sudden the RPM gauge hit 0 and i was rolling my way down the highway so i got over to the shoulder and got a tow because the car would not start anymore. Upon investigating the engine i found that i was getting no spark to the plugs. So after some extensive reading - i went ahead and replaced the distributor since its a common issue. After replacement - i have spark to all spark plugs, but for some reason engine still wont start.

i bought a fuel pump just in case, but if i were to try and crank it - i could smell gasoline and once i pull the spark plugs they have gasoline on them, so fuel delivery is not an issue.

I tested compression on all cylinders and all cylinders are running at exactly 123PSI.

Only thing i can think of is maybe the wires are bad or aren't making the right amount of contact to the spark plugs? i mean i tested with the plugs and with a screwdriver and it sparked every time. Spark itself was a glowing orange/yellowish spark. Which from what i gather color of spark doesn't matter as long as it sparks xD

another thing to add is that when i was driving it on the highway - when i attempted to give throttle to the car - it would act like it was about to die. Whether that is due to no spark or due to no fuel - i would like some insight if possible.

Things i have recently replaced:
Alternator
Distributor
Spark Plugs
Oil
Oil Filter
Crankshaft positioning sensor
power steering pump

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Did you check the main relay.. under the bonnet?... I think it is marked INJ. There is also the possibility of a faulty ECU. Most likely given what has been replaced!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unplug the 3 wire connector to the dist (ign module). While key is at on position, verify that you have 12V to the largest wire on this connector. Provided you have a 97 Mx6, it should be the black/white wire. If it doesn't, your ign switch might be the culprit, or it's feed. Ignore the other 2 wires.

Do the same to the 6 pin connector (you should have 5 wires there). You will actually have 2 wires that go to the ECU (a blue/orange then a yellow/black), a red/black and 2 grounds (black and black/red wires). With connector unplugged, test both grounds to battery negative for continuity. Then use a multimeter between the blue orange wire and closest ground. You'll need to backprobe the connector as it won't work with connector unplugged. Be sure to pull the FP relay as you don't want to fill your engine with unburnt gasoline. Make sure the 2 dist connectors are plugged in, with the correct wires backprobbed, as stated earlier. Crank the engine over while looking at your voltmeter, you should see some activity (IIRC, about 4V). If you don't see anything there, the ECU isn't controlling ignition.

Provided your injectors work correctly, you can negate the crank sensor as a possibility. The ignition needs the CMP signal from the dist (most likely the yellow/black wire). You can test that one the same way you tested the blue/orange wire. Just be sure to swap the ground wire to the closest one or you will see noise that might throw you off. Come back here with your results, you will likely lack something here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts