Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just been wondering the possibility of k20a2 swap. I just want to see whats possible with a decent budget of 8k. Just to plan out in the future
I dont want to hear it, “At that point just buy a new car”, I like the look of the mx6 1g thats just me but I just want little bit decent power to just keep up with a few cars.
Other reason why on a mx6:
My first car, why not?, fun struggling, Im still new to it.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
No one is going to argue with your choice of car, your choice of motor is the problem.

I would say for 3 to 4k$ you can turbo charge and stand alone the F2 motor on factory internals and make 300hp 350ft-lb torque with a strong enough clutch to handle it and kill civic type R's all day long.

Find a Turbo mx6/626/probe parts car and run the lower turbo compression and bigger transmission and you can make more power without issues.
Run E85 and I am sure you can get above 500hp for less than 8000$.

The fun thing about the MX6 88-92 is the Turbo charged 2.2L motor, it makes lots of torque and does it early in the powerband. I say it's the closest a japanese front wheel drive 4cylinder car will ever get to acting like and old v8 muscle car (in factory form with a bit higher boost).
Light up the tires with a flick of the gas pedal like an old V8, The factory boost solenoid lowers boost in upper rpm causing power to drop above 5000rpm like some old v8's, it will run quick trap speeds with slow 1/4" times due to wheel spin.

All this can be sorted out but the F2 will always have power at the touch of the pedal unlike most 2.0L I4's.

Al you need to do:
-Turbo
-Exhaust
-Intercooler
-Pipes and couplers
-Injectors
-Fuel pump
-Oil cooler
-Standalone
-Clutch
-Adjustable coil overs
-Porterfield street brake pads front and rear

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anything is possible with money and determination, if you want to do that then go for it. I tend to agree with Mazda Carnage, but it is your car, do as you want with it and have fun trying something different.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
It's all nuts and bolts, if it fits, it's only imagination and money to swap any motor into any car... most 4 cylinders aren't as big as the f2... and the probes even had the option of the Vulcan v6, so there is plenty of room in the engine bay. It would change the personality of the car a bit, would lose the bottom and and mid range of the f2, but definitely make some power up top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's all nuts and bolts, if it fits, it's only imagination and money to swap any motor into any car... most 4 cylinders aren't as big as the f2... and the probes even had the option of the Vulcan v6, so there is plenty of room in the engine bay. It would change the personality of the car a bit, would lose the bottom and and mid range of the f2, but definitely make some power up top.
Another reason why I mentioned the K20a was because The f2t engine is not so easily accessible in my case not only that but trying to find a decent wire harness and parts that are not heavily used

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Another reason why I mentioned the K20a was because The f2t engine is not so easily accessible in my case not only that but trying to find a decent wire harness and parts that are not heavily used
You don't need the F2T engine, everything is the same except the compression ratio of pistons (dish).
You don't need the F2T harness or ECU, run stand alone and make your own harness.
You only need the F2T transmission above 350 ft/lbs torque but there are more upgrade parts available for the non turbo G transmission.

The k20a is slow even the 11.5:compression versions.
Perhaps if you just want bolt in a K20C1 would be a better choice but it's direct port injection and more expensive to upgrade than manifold injection.

You should scroll the cough, cough Honda forums and look at successful simple honda turbo builds, I know they can make good power on a b18 with a different head and cheap lower compression forged pistons and performance rods, t3/t4 turbos and stand alone for 2000$ or less.

But the bottom line is you'd be doing a lot of work and spending a lot of money to start with less.
Less displacement, weaker aluminum block, weaker rods, higher compression pistons, weaker axles or custom combination to run on the mazda ...

No matter what you need to do the brakes, suspension and exhaust with any modified car, exhaust will have to be custom they don't make honda MX6 performances exhaust kits.
If you want to stick with a 4 cylinder you will need to turbo charge it just to make it quick, fast requires lots of boost.
So you will need to do an intercooler and piping install. And a wideband air fuel gauge/controller, Innovate motorsports makes one with built in boost gauge and boost controller which can be set for lean boost cut (saves the engine).
If you don't want to run forced induction you are wasting your time and money, look and see if there are any front wheel drive LS v8's that exist and stuff that under the hood, far better way to spend 8000$ than generating a maximum crank torque of 159ft lbs above 6000 rpm on a K20a .

Considering everything above needs to be done anyway your options are
A- buy and custom fit a motor, transmission, harness, ECU and figure out how to make the factory gauges work with all that.

B- Gap the factory piston rings (free) for boost and install a felpro head gasket (30$).
-Buy an Ebay F2 to T3 turbo manifold (200$) and a maxspeedingrod cheap ass turbo T04E T3/T4 0.57 A/R Turbo/Turbocharger Compressor 400+HP BOOST STAGE III
(I would spring for the street performance upgrade). With a 7lbs wastegate( 100-250$). oil filter plate kit and oil cooler (100$). Or you can buy a used F2T manifold and have a T3 flange welded to it (+- 100$).
-Have a downpipe made (100-250).
-Buy and run one of these SDS EM-4: EIC and install 2 x 350cc injectors (350$ total) on the charge pipe before the throttle body. The SDS XIC is an extra injector controller that runs off boost pressure and engine rpm, easy to wire and easy to use and can be connected to a wideband signal and has lean fuel map compensation settings and others. Easiest way you will ever find to run a turbo on a non turbo car while remaining on the factory ECU and injectors.

Start with 7psi boost on premium octane and set the extra injectors so air fuel ratio's go from 11.8A/F's under boost at low rpm to 11.3A/F at high rpm, you should put down about 165hp and 195ft/lbs at the wheels.
The K20a type R with cai, custom intake, headers, full exhaust, cam, tuned or on a controller puts down on average 150ft-lb torque at the wheels and usually just under 200hp at the wheels with every bolt on mod. (Can't find any bone stock dyno numbers). But if we take the block numbers and give it a 15% drivetrain loss all those bolt on mods increase power by about 15%.

The F2 will have a 50% power gain at 7psi and all set to make more power, just turn up the boost, the injector controller is map sensor operated and will increase fuel delivery based on boost and maintain air fuel ratio's set at lower boost, if not tweak the gain a bit.
You will need to upgrade the clutch (260$ +) at some point (might be bellow 7psi, if mint probably hold to 8 or 9 psi).

After upgrading the clutch you will be able to turn up the boost to 15 psi and make about 220whp and 260wft/lb.
The factory MX6 fuel pump flows 80 liters per hour or 1333 ml/cc per minute, with the factory F2 injectors and 2 extra 350cc injectors the fuel delivery limit will be 1220 ml/cc per minute. The F2T runs 4 x 350cc injectors with a peak fuel delivery of 700 ml/cc per minute and can handle 15psi. @ 1220 ml/cc there would be enough fuel available to run 26psi, so fuel isn't a limiting factor.
If the F2 is limited to 350 ft/lb because of the transmission that would be about 310 wft/lb (with 15% drivetrain loss) or require 19.7 - 20 psi boost to make 350 block ft/lb.
On premium gas factory timing can handle 21psi without issues. So factory timing won't be a limiting factor.

If you upgrade the transmission and run 26psi (current fuel delivery limit) the car will need water or water meth injection on factory timing.
At 26psi boost the engine will flow enough air to make 350+ Bhp. Above that you will need to upgrade the 2 x 350cc injectors or run more water meth injection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts