Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there....hoping for a warm welcome:
Ok folks..new to Mx6s...but not new to mazdas. My Mom still has her 88 rx-7 :D . I'm not new to modifing either....I am currently on my 2nd 2g dsm.
That's besides the point however. I've been looking at getting another car..and this deal sort of "fell in my lap", so to speak.
It's a 1988 MGT....red w/111,XXX miles. The guy only wants $1000. I'm started it up & it sounds good(the shop will be closed til the 2nd of Jan)...but I've looked at the car before (back in July)....the entire motor was swapped from a probe turbo. I remember a part of the piping for the IC was broken...it was rewelded and fixed. I won't know til Friday, but whatev. What exactly should I be looking for...any known problems? Recalls etc? The interior is mint. Do all the MGTs come w/the suspension switch to go from Soft to Normal to Sport etc.? I could really use the comments and the help. Seems most of the ppl here enjoy these cars. I love my dsm, but i love other fast cars too...i don't discriminate.
Thanks for taking the time out to read all that /\ /\.
Regards from a n00b,
Phil

The Mazda:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=4289546545&mode=&idx=0

The Green Demon:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=511&cat=500

:D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Welcome. Love the green machine!

The MX-6 - no brainer. Get it! Specs are 145 bph and 190 ft-lbs at the front wheels. They are torque monsters out of the box. You'll soon find yourself modding it no doubt. }) Chip it, add some fuel and ignition upgrades and a boost controller set to 15 - 17 psi on the stock turbo and it's sure to put a smile on anyones face.

All U.S. spec GT's came with AAS (auto adjusting suspension). The engines are tough to break. I would focus on making sure the suspension is good, tranny of course, check for water in the trunk (leaky taillights). There's lots of electrical goodies inside so check to see those work well if that's a concern. The throttle body boot is the achillies heel for these cars - they crack and cause vaccum problems but it's an easy fix. I wouldn't worry about the AAS too much if you've got the mitsu modded like that and are used to stiff suspension... anything lower than the sport setting felt like driving a boat to me. ;)

Hope to see you around the board.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok..so the TB boot...no biggie then. Anything else you can think of?
There's no doubt I will start modding right off the top. What about sources for modification parts?
Are the parts hard to come by etc.?

Is there a gallery section on mx6.com?

With a k&n intake/turbo back exhaust/boost controller/boost gauge/piping/FMIC/injectors/fuel pump/chip
what would we be looking at?

I'm just curious as I have these parts pretty much readily available.
Thx,
Phil

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Yes, the photo Gallery is down, and I doubt it will ever be coming back.

As for any problems with the car, few of them you can expect to find will be fixes requiring more than an hour of your time and maybe $61 (new TB boot from dealer's cost).

With a k&n intake/turbo back exhaust/boost controller/boost gauge/piping/FMIC/injectors/fuel pump/chip
With that sort of setup, you would be looking at mid(ish) 14s. If you go a bit further and slap on a new or hybrid turbo, you can easily hit low 14s to mid(ish) 13s.

A few notes on that setup, though: K&N doesn't make a full "intake" for these cars. You can buy a replacement drop-in filter and fabricate your own CAI, or go with a CAI/K&N Cone Filter/Toyota filter mounting bracket (the thing pictured here next to the filter). Also, I wouldn't recommend upping the boost much without an A/F meter, especially if you are going to be going into the 15-17 pound region as 2rusty said.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boise89GT said:
Yes, the photo Gallery is down, and I doubt it will ever be coming back.

As for any problems with the car, few of them you can expect to find will be fixes requiring more than an hour of your time and maybe $61 (new TB boot from dealer's cost).

With that sort of setup, you would be looking at mid(ish) 14s. If you go a bit further and slap on a new or hybrid turbo, you can easily hit low 14s to mid(ish) 13s.

A few notes on that setup, though: K&N doesn't make a full "intake" for these cars. You can buy a replacement drop-in filter and fabricate your own CAI, or go with a CAI/K&N Cone Filter/Toyota filter mounting bracket (the thing pictured here next to the filter). Also, I wouldn't recommend upping the boost much without an A/F meter, especially if you are going to be going into the 15-17 pound region as 2rusty said.
True true....I'm guessing these cars won't stand up to well to anything in high boost (traction & HP wise) FWDs are known for this..correct if i'm wrong.
As for the a/f gauge...I was going to go w/a a profec setup. Maybe s-afc....??? Seems many ppl hit high/mid 13s w/a decent amount of modding etc in these vehicles. Guessing that's the average after modding? Home depot intake shouldn't be too difficult.....

What are your mods & what are you guys running?
Thanx again!
Phil

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
97dsmbishi said:
What about sources for modification parts?
Are the parts hard to come by etc.?

Thx,
Phil
These cars are "aftermarket challenged." :( Like Boise said it's best to fabricate a homemade intake. With a little search on here or http://www.probetalk.com you may find someone selling units. Also be sure to check out http://www.performanceprobe.com for ideas on modifications.

A full turbo-back exhaust is also tough to come by. There are a few out there but they tend to be pricey. http://www.jgstools.com is a good place to check out. You might want to consider a 2-1/2" or 3" cat-back (no resonator) until you know what turbo you want to run as you're going to have to fabricate the downpipe flange... but then you said you have lots of stuff readily available.

Intake, turbo-back (stock turbo 15psi), dawes devices MBC, IC & piping, Walbro 190 lph fuel pump (Personally I discourage against the 250lph) forget bigger injectors for now, go ahead and pick up an MSD 6a ignition box and an MSD blaster2 ignition coil. I would estimate right around 200 bph to the wheels and approaching 300 ft-lbs also at the wheels.

The injectors are a tricky thing. I can't think of anybody who has made larger injectors run 100% with solid proof. Unfortunately the earlier 1st gens came with smaller injectors than the 90-92 cars (310 vs. 330 I believe) It might be worthwhile to find out if the the wiring harness and ECU were also swapped with that probe engine. If not, 90-92 injectors, new wiring harness (big project) and a 90-92 ECU can be done.

With a turbo-back your going to want to put some thought into boring out the O2 sensor housing as it's pretty restrictive.

The mitsu site won't let me view your mods. What have you got?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
The Greddy profec works great. Can't remember but I believe the Apexi won't work. Search around...
Click on the link in my sig to see what I've done. ;) I'm now running around at 15psi and briefly 17psi when the freezing weather struck. :p

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
If you want a nice rare factory turbo car, the 1g GT is where its as. Really underrated turbo car and pretty reliable if cared for. Again, not a ton of aftermarket, but who doesnt like a challenge?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
GT turbo ........ $1000

97dsmbishi said:
There's no doubt I will start modding right off the top.

What about sources for modification parts?
Are the parts hard to come by etc. ?

I'm just curious as I have these parts pretty much readily available.
Hey Dsmbishi;
Buy it, you won't be disappointed ! But, I'd suggest running it a bit and making sure that everything is solid, before jumping directly into the performance mods.
Check out the 1st Gen Performance sub-forum for ideas on power modding and available resources for parts.
For a $1000 and having parts available, you can build a low budget sleeper capable of taking on alot of newer cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2Rusty said:
These cars are "aftermarket challenged." :( Like Boise said it's best to fabricate a homemade intake. With a little search on here or http://www.probetalk.com you may find someone selling units. Also be sure to check out http://www.performanceprobe.com for ideas on modifications.

A full turbo-back exhaust is also tough to come by. There are a few out there but they tend to be pricey. http://www.jgstools.com is a good place to check out. You might want to consider a 2-1/2" or 3" cat-back (no resonator) until you know what turbo you want to run as you're going to have to fabricate the downpipe flange... but then you said you have lots of stuff readily available.

Intake, turbo-back (stock turbo 15psi), dawes devices MBC, IC & piping, Walbro 190 lph fuel pump (Personally I discourage against the 250lph) forget bigger injectors for now, go ahead and pick up an MSD 6a ignition box and an MSD blaster2 ignition coil. I would estimate right around 200 bph to the wheels and approaching 300 ft-lbs also at the wheels.

The injectors are a tricky thing. I can't think of anybody who has made larger injectors run 100% with solid proof. Unfortunately the earlier 1st gens came with smaller injectors than the 90-92 cars (310 vs. 330 I believe) It might be worthwhile to find out if the the wiring harness and ECU were also swapped with that probe engine. If not, 90-92 injectors, new wiring harness (big project) and a 90-92 ECU can be done.

With a turbo-back your going to want to put some thought into boring out the O2 sensor housing as it's pretty restrictive.

The mitsu site won't let me view your mods. What have you got?
Cool....I'll have to check those sites out. My dsm is n/a, so I have the basic bolt-ons. My white 97 hydrolocked and I decided not to rebuild as you CANNOT swap in a 4g63 (turbo) engine. I saved up and was about to buy a 95 gs-t...the car was crap, so I picked up a 2g teg for a dime. I hated it after 2 weeks and sold it for my 96 I have now.
I have an AEM CAI/5zigen cat-back exhaust/cut resonator/HP Racing coilover suspension/front & rear upper strut bars/VIS Racing c.f. hood/magnacore wires/iridium plugs/autometer a.f. & oil press. gauges

Don't get me wrong...I love my dsm...but there's alot of drama on the boards that I don't need...FI folks are always knocking the guys w/the n/t's....that's the way of the world guys.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Well, we boosted guys are a bit nicer to our N/A brothers on this site than what you make the DSM boards sound like.

It is because there are more of them and they will beat us up. :(
Unless we can get into our cars... then they can't catch us :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts