Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

181 - 190 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
That looks like the perfect intercooler for me. good info. I especially like that it has both the in and out on top/bottom as I can already see it fitting with extra piping I already have and that its under $300 for a well made peice.

SO other that flow and cooling what other factors(other than fit) come into play when choosing an intercooler?ie: I cant quite grasp why 1.5psi drop is good ,bad ,or otherwise:0

·
Registered
657 Posts
That looks like the perfect intercooler for me. good info. I especially like that it has both the in and out on top/bottom as I can already see it fitting with extra piping I already have and that its under $300 for a well made peice.

SO other that flow and cooling what other factors(other than fit) come into play when choosing an intercooler?ie: I cant quite grasp why 1.5psi drop is good ,bad ,or otherwise:0
That's 1.5 psi over 150 pounds tho so 1 percent loss. That cooler is also in the mid 70's percent of efficiency. I want to say it was around 78%

The way the rows are place play a big role, when going with same side you want a vertical row core. You also want to look at how the end tanks are built and make sure they help and not hinder flow. How the fins are set up in between the row to help direct air and help cool also come into play.

Pressure drop on IC are done with cold air so its not like real pressure drop, you want as little as possible but with as much flow as you cant get. All intercooler will have pressure drop as one the heat is taken out. Its just how they work the last think you want it ht already have a nasty pressure drop to start with as your target pressure will now have to over work the turbo. If you want a target of 14 psi but have a drop of 4 psi then your turbo has to work to 16 just to get your target boost.

I have seen some ebay cooler have a 5 pis drop at just 17 pounds. The core was just built like crap tho. Not enough rows, they were to long and the flow was just utter crap.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

It is a seriously over built intercooler, one of my cars got totaled by an idiot in a 4 runner, he pushed the engine back about 1.5" and spread both strut towers, intercooler got hit just as hard and was pushed against the engine, it's brackets bent a bit but the only damage that was done to it is one bar has a hole in it, I will braze it shut and use it on another car.

I replaced it with the Treadstone TRV185
TRV185 Series Intercooler 720HP- TREADSTONE PERFORMANCE

04ProbeGT Has you covered on all the info and details. But be careful where you put it an extra couple inches of pipe will put you in more air flow, I put mine as close to the factory position as possible, after the first few runs I felt the upper end tank and almost burned my hand, the intercooler was completely heat soaked.
It was no longer in front of the opening in the bumper in or below the black line depending on year, I made two air channels out of tin and boxed in the inner bumper so both bumper openings got directed to the intercoolers core and it never got hot again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ironic- my protege died at the hand of a 4runner.

I was thinking of creating a ram-of -air from the passenger side to the factory intercooler. I thought this because I noticed my intake manifold was warmer than I thought it should be. It will most likley need some modification with the treadstone but I think it would work pretty well. I want to use the factory air box/filter box as a collector(removed and placed behind bumper at bumper opening) and pvc to route it in front of/or under the radiator. It may block the radiator a bit but I doubt ill notice it making a difference in coolant temp. What do you think? ghetto?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Ironic- my protege died at the hand of a 4runner.

I was thinking of creating a ram-of -air from the passenger side to the factory intercooler. I thought this because I noticed my intake manifold was warmer than I thought it should be. It will most likley need some modification with the treadstone but I think it would work pretty well. I want to use the factory air box/filter box as a collector(removed and placed behind bumper at bumper opening) and pvc to route it in front of/or under the radiator. It may block the radiator a bit but I doubt ill notice it making a difference in coolant temp. What do you think? ghetto?
That is way to elaborate. Look down at the intercooler and mark the edges of the core on the inner bumper.
Take off the bumper, Lay it on a blanket if you care.
The inner bumper is the solid grey fiberglass part that the bumper skin is secured to. Pull all the plastic retaining screws top and bottom out WHEREVER THE INTERCOOLER IS NOT so from the inside of the bracket on the passenger side to the edge of the cooler core (so if the mount is 24 " from cooler then 24" is the distance), measure the depth (top is equal to bottom) on both sides and heights, it sits like this " [ ". Measure all three side : so if the bottom and top are 2" each and the height is 3" take some thin sheet metal and cut a piece (2"+2"+3") 7" high and 24" long, curl it to a U shape and put it int the inner pumper so the rounded 3" piece is pointing out and push on it until it squares flush with the inner bumper, take a nail and mark the inner/outer bumper mounting holes on the new metal piece and drill holes, reinstall the plastic screws and retainers through the outer, inner and new channel piece and it's mounted to the inner bumper without any custom work.

Here is my cooler install:http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-mx6-forced-induction/212294-intercooler-pipe-installation-vaf-afm-pressure-side-review.html#post2053520

·
Registered
105 Posts
ANy Suggestions for a good fmic, or can i find one that flows well and fits in the factory spot?

381cfm: is that how much A factory turbo can push or as much as our intake will allow?
I have a .50 t3/4 and wonder

381cfm is way outside the efficiency lines of the VJ11 compressor map. It's just hot air at that point and insane turbine speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
yes, they will work, but 2nd gen coil overs will not work, they dont fit the rear struts right. unless u go with a set of 2nd gen struts also
Cool I saw the part numbers for the fronts were the same but not the rear because I brought lowering springs for the 2nd gen I was going to keep the fr and sell the rears.

181 - 190 of 190 Posts