Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK this is the deal I have talked with jet performance.and a couple of peps on this site and have even gone over to the probe pepes for advise . I WAN TO MOVE THE REV LIMITER UP DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE MOTOR IF IT BLOWS WE PUT IT UN A TRAILER AND TAKE IT BACK TO THE SHOP AND TRY AGAIN.We are not scared to push our little 2,2 to the point of destruction the probe guys are moving there rev limiteres to 8000 in turbo cars and the same for the non turbos I know Jet told me the motor runs flat at 6500 but my car with is running circle track is still pulling and pulling strong when it hits the limiter and I think there is some more power in it regardless of what it supposed to do CAN ANYONE HELP ME OR DO I JUST NEED TO GET THE PROBE GUYS TO HELP ME

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Get Megasquirt, you can control the rev limiter yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't run mega squirt the car must be stock well stock looking til I get caught Can the limiter be removed? Please guys I know somebody can help without store bought perfoemance products

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or with a chip that will do what I need it to or someone that I can send the box to to permently putting a chip in without leaveing witness marks on the box PLEASE MX-6.com help the only competition I have this year is a Prelude which we think is cheating .The mx-6 has five more HP from the factory and is five pounds lighter so I should be stompping his a#! at the track but just as the car stsrts to take the position it hitts the limiter and falls on it's a#@ so what can i do without store bought prducts

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
MS is stock looking. It's a non-descript metallic box that you can put in the same place as your stock ECU.

Also, have you thought of shifting gears? Surely you aren't bouncing the limiter in fourth gear are you?

With MS, you can set the limiter to any RPM you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do i get one and I am running 3rd on half mile tracks the rev limiter only causes a problem on 3/8's and 1/4 mile tracks which third is gear is to high and it tops out in second just as I am starting to take the lead

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
how much time do you have?

Once ordered, I suggest the V3.0 board, you have to build it yourself and make a loom out of your factory harness. It'll take a week or two depending on how much time you put into and how good you are reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes it is a race car. no windows.no lights,no interior,no wipers, it will never see a public road again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't ues the MS ECU due to having to splice the harness is there any other way tro get the rev liminter moved

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
It is possible to reflash the eprom in the GT ECU, as that has electronicaly controled ignition timing.

No one has bothered to figure out the N/A Ecu.

We know how to cut the speed limiter, that is just cutting one wire.

There is a fuel cut at wide open throttle can similarly be disabled by cutting a wire (same as on the GT).

As for the 6000 rpm cut.. either flashing the ecu( which no one knows how to do) or building stealth plug and play megasquirt...

The only other option, would be to convert to using the stock electrical system from a GT. You could swap over the distributor, igniter, the engine harness... and then run a remapped/chipped ecu....

otherwise.. that's about it.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Spanky] we sponsor a guy here (supplied two mx6's and many parts), he runs oval dirt tracks.
He does fairly well with his 12V sohc against all the Honda's, everyone cheats at these tracks, the owner of a nearby shop PSI tuning does work on one of the competitions cars, it's a honda (of course) with a J-spec V-tech motor, upgraded cams, P&P work, exhaust, tuning, full adjustable suspension.... (lots of money). The Mx6 has some stock suspension off a parts car, N/A sway bars, it's been gutted and lightened, ported head and shaved head, colt cam, dumped exhaust (NO MONEY). The mx6 beats the higher hpr, better modded cars thanks to it low RPM torque in the corners, the Dohc's need to get to the high Rpm's to make power and don't have much through the corners.

Jean Mark (the guy we sponsor) has the exact same problem as you, the rev limiter cuts him out and the car runs out of breath just shy of the next corner, he has been on a quest to get rid of the damn rev limiter.
He runs at 2 tracks, the one in Cornwall is the shorter of the two, there he dominates, there is a 2nd gen with KLZE and lots of cash in the car who runs against him and he beats the 2nd gen. During the 2007 season the other racers gathered together to lynch him after the race in the pits, some wanted to fight him others demanded a full inspection of his car, which it passed and they ended up paying for.

Edelweiss is the longer of the two tracks, this is where the Rpm cut costs him, (like corwall) the entire track is raced in second gear by all the cars in this category, but this track is just long enough that every car hits rpm cut, just before the corners the Honda's all red line DIT, DIT, DIT, DIT, 5 or 6 at a time (like a rice symphony), the Hondas keep it floored, bouncing off the rev limiter but keep moving, the Mazda hits the limiter sooner and it's far less forgiving, meaning he has to let off the gas each time it happens and shifting to 3rd to downshift again right away slows him down even more.
There is a CRX or Prelude (can't remember witch) he has a big metal box welded where the passenger dash was, his air intake goes through the fire wall and into that box, he claims it's to keep mud and dirt out, he does no better then anyone else for most of the race then on the last lap or two suddenly his car (that he had to the floor the whole time) has a burst of power and becomes the fastest thing out there and often wins. there are no signs of NOS from the tailpipe, I suspect an electric supercharger might be hidden in that box and those extra 10 or 12 hpr all the time are enough for him to win.

Here he is racing at Edelweiss (this is after on of his bad crashes and the car wasn't handling well again.):

I don't know what it's like where you race Spanky] but for Jean Mark it would be really hard to get away with MS unless he hid it in the stock ECU box, put all the wires in the factory split loom and through the factory grommets, tape it all like factory, drag it through the dirt to make it look old, leave no new splices or connections exposed...

So I too would like to figure this rev limiter issue, not just for Jean Mark but for my GT's as well, one will go stand alone but the other two won't, I hit the limiter all the time, 6200 rpm comes on fast when the wheels spin and in 3rd 4th and 5th the power keeps going but the rev limiter shuts you down. I have MSD 6al's and crane cam ignition boxes, they have rpm controls but non will allow me passed the factory RPM cut. I have yet to try a lower rpm setting then 6200 rpm on the GT's since there was no point *****

One place to start is looking at things backwards, I remember reading some members here are running FE3's on F2T wire harness and ECU's, If anyone would want to pass rpm cut (6200rpm) it would be an FE3 driver.

Here is one thread about it:
http://www.mx6.com/forums/fe-dohc/218239-those-running-fe3-f2t-ecu.html

Now a question:
If the FE3 2.0l 16v dohc engine can run on the ECU for a F2T 2.2l 12v sohc.
How would the F2 12v sohc run with the FE3 16V dohc wire harness and ecu?

**** possible partial solution might be the MSD 6al or similar crap, it has " soft touch rev control" this is supposed to: randomly drops spark pulses to some of your cylinders to keep your engine at or below it's maximum rpm.....
This might not allow you to pass 6500 rpm but at least the car would keep running when you get there.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
SpankyJ -- the more i think about htis, the more i think you need to convert to the F2T electrics... it can be done.

there are some other advantages to running the F2T ecu/electrical/injectors/distributor -- you get the possibility to control spark timing - more control over injectors (more or less fuel...) ... the fully adjustable spark timing should be good for a few extra hp.

the F2T stuff is documented, and it looks stock, because it *is* stock. Granted, you'lll have to pull all of your existing electric. but it could be done. the F2T can run a non-turbo-ed engine.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
SpankyJ -- the more i think about htis, the more i think you need to convert to the F2T electrics... it can be done.

there are some other advantages to running the F2T ecu/electrical/injectors/distributor -- you get the possibility to control spark timing - more control over injectors (more or less fuel...) ... the fully adjustable spark timing should be good for a few extra hp.

the F2T stuff is documented, and it looks stock, because it *is* stock. Granted, you'lll have to pull all of your existing electric. but it could be done. the F2T can run a non-turbo-ed engine.
The F2T rpm cut is at lower Rpm then the F2 rpm cut, I have a bunch of north American chips (Adam, Jay-b, zombie, Probinator) none take away boost cut.
Another problem with running the F2T set up with no turbo is fuel, the f2t injectors and ECU dump crazy amounts of gas at and above 3000rpm anticipating boost, so much gas that without a turbo the engine falls gutless.
Trying to run N/A injectors is pointless, the GT ECU delivers so little voltage to the injectors at idle that the smaller N/A injectors wont deliver enough gas to idle the engine or keep it running in neutral at different RPM.

Maybe with different size injectors (270-280cc) a wideband and some VAF adjustments you might be able to get it to run but I still think the timing and fuel maps for a turbo engine aren't the best for N/A tunes.

·
short stroker
235 Posts
Not sure if you can do this for this type of racing, but have you thought of using a taller wheel/tire combo to change the gearing? It'll give you a longer 2nd gear, maybe it will be just enough to keep off the rev limit.

I personally never found much regarding removing rev limit, I am looking into other options...megasquirt, bp ecu, etc

Oh, and for a really 'secret' mod with no traceability, check this out from the miata community. They are basically overclocking the ecu to think the engine speed is slower. It ends up leaning out the a/f, but it does increase the rev limit:
MX-5 Miata Forum - Overclocking OEM ECU threads

Don't have a clue about a possible application for the f2 ecu. Could be worth looking into.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts