Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got Big Brake kit on their 1st Gen?. Pics and info are highly appreciated. Also what size rims are you running with them?

Does Big brake kits that fit 2nd Gen fit the 1st Gen?

Will the 1993-97 Rx7 turbo Brake kit fit the 1st Gen? Mazda dealer says not a direct fit. Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

Guys feel free to share some detal on costs too. I am inclined towards

Brembo ----- Not sure what it costs
Willwood ----- $1500.00 for the front (entire kit, included , disks calipers , brake lines) $1800.00 for the rear( entire kit) .. very expensive in my opinion.
Stoptech ----- Not sure of costs
Baer ----- again not sure of costs.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You should search for terms like "adamturbo" "hy-dra-cyl" "wilwood." Come back when you've looked through all the posts you find. Everything you need is there...I know because I've read it there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey panther the gauges are fine but i havent have time to install them yet, i will send you some pics when i do. thanks for the info guys, the project is on. i will do a write up on a complete suspension upgrade and restoration. :)

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Sure you will.
Question- What are you looking for a "big brake" kit that you aren't finding in a brand new "small brake" kit in the first place? If you were consistantly doing top speed runs at Bonneville then a "big brake" kit would probably be in your best interest although a OE "small brake" kit would probably suit you fine as is.

Rather than searching for options on installing an $1,800-$2,500 brake kit that undoubtedly costs close if not more than you paid for the car, why not look into something like Brembo blanks all around with say Porterfield pads. You could do a complete refreshment of your brakes for around $500 which would stop you fine.

Then again, you wouldn't be able to add "Big Brake Kit !111111" in your mod list.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Wilwood:
calipers: wwd 120-4998 132.- (x2)
rotor left : wwd 160-3872 83.-
rotor right: wwd160-3873 83.-

rotor hats: wwd170-3265 100.- (x2)
pads: wwd15q6824k 62.- set
master cylinder: wwd260-4894 114.-
proportioning valve: wwd260-2220 45.-

TOTALL $851.- without brackets only front axle.

all prices in USD.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sicksix i think u hit the nail, its more of the testosterone thing than the actual need. I just thought they would look awesome behind some 10 spoke 18" wheels that i havent bought yet , haha. anyway i was just trying my options here, and this one looks very expensive.
Thank Dutch, that doesnt look that bad. Do you think i need brackets? any $ idea on those? does anyone you know have this setup?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
K9-Alkazar said:
Do you think i need brackets? any $ idea on those? does anyone you know have this setup?
u for sure need brackets:

these ones :)

im having the setup, named earlier, made complete as we speak.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i only scored the brackets sofar.
these are most important since u cant install anything without having them.

the partsnumbers i got from this post a while back
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=532266&postcount=13

the brackets shown in the picture are the ones AdamT. used on his setup.
if u contact him im sure he can make u a set too.
hes fabricating all kinds of custom stuff for cars since he runs a machineshop.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
well i've got some brake parts coming as well, 4 piston calipers, 300mm rotors, new brake lines (aust ADR Approved), all for the price of $1400 aussie . oh and the great thing is it uses the same amount of pressure, fluid etc... as our stock single pistons do, but has greater clamping force.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
i dont see a brand or car u took this from named.
interesting stuff.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
there is a reason why it isn't named. specifically point to some aust guys.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
sick : small brakes with good pads DO work, however let me share my last 6 months with you...

vehicle nissan skyline r32 gts (nothing special) 155ps (152hp) 2l NA
front rotors :255mm by 22mm ventilated and slotted. (dba replacements)
rear similar diameter, solid maybe 8mm at a guess.
bendix/axis ultimates up front, bendix/axix advance at rear

4000km has yielded this :

front pads 80-90% gone
front rotors down by 0.5mm from a max of 2mm usable thickness
hairline cracks up to 4mm long 1 third of the friction area from the outer edge
visible smearing of the steel after a "f-in spirited" run of 3.5 minutes(peak speed 140kph, so not blistering speed), and the colouring in the disks at the front is quite pretty : blues purples etc. the rear is just a nice dark grey.
front 225/50/15 tyres half gone in same period, note brakes not locked once, and no noticable understeer experienced.

the ultimates go happily to 550 deg C, and the metal masters i used to have go to 400 deg C, i havent managed to fade them(thank god), but i guess they are hanging around the 500 deg C mark, because I did used to fade those metal kings with much less power.

big brakes = feel, reliability, safety...

if i were to have more than 155ps I WOULD NEED them, you have 195, but i guess you dont drive like me.

so to those persuing big brakes, carry on, it will be worth it.

fred.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
also note i havent been on a track in that time.

and panther: my sig appears right now after editing to be 4 lines to me(how small is your screen), i actually checked it after i last edited it, and found it ok.

fred.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
fredio54 said:
and panther: my sig appears right now after editing to be 4 lines to me(how small is your screen), i actually checked it after i last edited it, and found it ok.
1280x1024. I forget what the screen is at work, but it is at a minimum of 1024x768, the standard for measuring sig legnth.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
are you getting the rears done also Dutch?

It is sad how people feel to hide info when they could share it. we are all on the same team here

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
yes the rears are also on my to-do list.
im thinking about Nissan disks and Bremo calipers.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I've had the Hye-dra-cyl kit on my mx6 before(its not on there now, i had to buy a few new parts for it) but it was 100% amazing when i had it installed. My only complaint isnt really one at all. the car doesnt have ABS anymore and stopping with the big brake kit was very easy to flatspot tires. It was possible to lock my front tires up at 80mph going down the highway...they were a bit overkill. Here are the only 2 pics i snapped...

i took them off also because i didnt have any GOOD wheels to fit them. i hit a muffler and destroyed a 5star, plus those wheels are far too heavy. Now i have my kosei's but i havent bothered trying to put the brakes back on... i may in the spring but i cant run my 15" wheels with them, which sucks so i might sell them.

BTW this kit is from a 2g Probe. since the caliper bolt spacing is the same, and the offset of the caliper vs. rotor face is close, it fits. i had to use Headbolt washers to space the caliper inward towards the engine bay and use a 3mm spacer on the hub between the spindle and the rotor to get the rotor to fit without hitting the control arms by the ball joint... other than that it pretty much just flew onto the car in 2 hours.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 39 Posts