Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently with it getting much colder where I live, my car when cold starting has been revving up and down at idle. It stops after the car is completely warmed up though. Could it be a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
41 Posts
How is your coolant Level. If it is a little low it will do that.
There is a temperature sensor on the thermostat housing. If drops below that it will send bad readings to the computer. As the car warms up and coolant level rises to the sensor level the idle smooths out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How is your coolant Level. If it is a little low it will do that.
There is a temperature sensor on the thermostat housing. If drops below that it will send bad readings to the computer. As the car warms up and coolant level rises to the sensor level the idle smooths out.
Awesome I'll make sure to double check my coolant level! Thank you!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Level is definitely important. You also may have an air pocket in the system.

Check the antifreeze freezing point as well. If it's partially freezing/gelling it will cause issues with the idle air control valve.

That's about it really. Doubt it's the idle valve...They're tough buggers.

Good luck

- Jack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Level is definitely important. You also may have an air pocket in the system.

Check the antifreeze freezing point as well. If it's partially freezing/gelling it will cause issues with the idle air control valve.

That's about it really. Doubt it's the idle valve...They're tough buggers.

Good luck

- Jack
Well unfortunately it looks like I have a pretty big coolant leak, can't tell exactly from where though. Seems to be coming from the passenger side

·
Registered
41 Posts
If your radiator is not leaking, then possibly water pump or hoses.
If you find one of the smaller hoses leaking, I would recommend ordering all of them and replacing them at the same time.
If water pump, then you might as well do a timing belt kit. And look the the crank and camshaft seals, not much more work to replace while your doing the water pump
As far as hoses, you have the two larger ones on the front, upper and lower radiator hose.
Then several small ones.
2 for the heater core,
then maybe four in other places if I remember right.
If you end up doing this work, then might as well make it complete with a new thermostat ( from dealer, not parts store ).

Worst case would be head gasket. But these engines are not known to blow head gaskets unless you really abused it ( excessive overheating ).
I went about 400,000 miles on my 90 626 with a 2.2 with no had gasket issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts