Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting in a new head unit for my 90 MX6 GT, and I have the factory amp and sub underneath my passenger seat. Has anyone either- spliced the wires together near the amp to bypass it (and if so can you tell me what color goes to what?), or if there is a harness I can get instead of splicing, or has anyone just rewired the whole car? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I got my new head unit from Crutchfield they sent me a wiring harness, all I had to do was plug it in to the existing one. I have a feeling that this bypassed the factory amp and sub.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Dont bother bypassing it, just reach underneath the seat and unplug the bastard.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I rewired the entire stereo system in my '91 DX. I Mounted my 2 amps in the trunk, ran an RCA cable from the head unit to the 2 amps, along with the speaker wire for the 4 speakers along the passenger side along the bottom of the door closure and under the back seat. I then did the same thing with the power wire on the driver's side. I hate taking apart the dash in this car.... something new seems to break every time I have it off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you want to use the factory amp/ sub you can connect the wire coming from it ( i think it was blue with yellow striping ) to the wire coming out of your receiver that would turn the amp. This reall doesn't give much control over the level of the sub, only when you turn up the volume. This is the only way that I know of to use the factoy sub with an after market receiver. Hop hshlps.

*** BTW, does anyone know of a replacement sub for this position that might actually hit harder? i know it's small, nut I'm sure there must be something out there.***

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah hell with it anyway. I'm pretty sure my two 10" JBLs in the trunk are a little louder than the factory setup anyway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lord Mike said:
If you want to use the factory amp/ sub you can connect the wire coming from it ( i think it was blue with yellow striping ) to the wire coming out of your receiver that would turn the amp. This reall doesn't give much control over the level of the sub, only when you turn up the volume. This is the only way that I know of to use the factoy sub with an after market receiver. Hop hshlps.

*** BTW, does anyone know of a replacement sub for this position that might actually hit harder? i know it's small, nut I'm sure there must be something out there.***
Interesting question...one product comes to mind...a Pioneer stealth box powered sub. It came in a wedge shaped box with it's own amp and everything and would probably find under the seat pretty well(it was originally intended to wedge between the seats and the back of the cab in pick-up trucks)

However...I think I'm going to try and wire the factory sub back into my system...did you do that to yours...if so, how does it sound?)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts