Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a difference between turbo and non-turbo transmissions?

Yes, turbo and non turbo trannys do differ.

the turbo tranny is alot stronger than the non-turbo to handle the torque/hp the turbo engine puts out.

The non-turbo tranny is basically made of glass. if you try to put one on the Turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission in less than a month, probly even quicker than that. it was not made to handle any real power.

"Can i bolt the turbo transmission up to my non turbo engine?"

No.
The reason is that the non-turbo tranny will not bolt up to the gt motor. Differences in the number of splines, and how the bolt holes match up make it impossible.

"What about this FE3 i keep hearing about, will this work with my transmission?"

The FE3 motor will bolt up to the turbo transmission, and the tranny can handle the power of the FE3 engine.

But, if you try to bolt the FE3 up to the non-turbo transmission, you will more than likely kill the transmission very soon.

-meaty

Reactions: jlpicard6

·
Registered
238 Posts
A rebuttle to: "Is there a difference between turbo and non-turbo transmissions?"

"Yes, turbo and non turbo trannys do differ.

the turbo tranny is alot stronger than the non-turbo to handle the torque/hp the turbo engine puts out.

The non-turbo tranny is basically made of glass. if you try to put one on the Turbo engine, you will destroy the transmission in less than a month, probly even quicker than that. it was not made to handle any real power. "

All true up to this point..:

"Can i bolt the turbo transmission up to my non turbo engine?"

No. "

STOP...!!!

This is wrong information in this FAQ post. After the fourth transmission, I opted for the turbo tranny swap. He was correct in that the drive shaft splines are different, but this just adds to parts that are needed for the swap.

All parts needed will be :the Transmission (duh), the GT clutch assembly as a whole [flywheel, clutch disc, and pressure plate(because the input shaft splines are thicker than the n/a and the clutch disc is larger for added grip)], the GT axle hubs (because the driveshaft splines are thicker than the n/a), the MTX E.C.M., and the GT driveshafts. All this stuff will bolt up to yer stock DX/ LX/ LE.

P.S. I performed this swap out of frustration from the other tranny's weakness (i.e. clearing the entire state of Indiana at 117 m.p.h in a few hours and ending up with no second, third, or fourth gear after it cooled down). But had I read this post some months ago, I would have seen Shannonlujan post above about the squirmish shifter, which I had. I remember when I took apart my second box to inquire why it was grinding third, there was absolutely no damage to any of the input or output gears. This was baffling to me, but i replaced and continued until the next tranny broke on me. But I do remember the H-plate was very loose and missing a screw. So, 13 months later, mystery solved. I now know to replace the bushings and seal the H-plate screws with BLUE lock-tite (the permanent stuff)
Moral of the story: Do The Search

1 - 2 of 2 Posts