Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has installed fog lights on the 1st gen mx6? Been looking around and have not had any luck.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Any luck at what? Finding universal fog lights or pictures of MX6's with them?

I installed a set of universal fog lights on one of my 88 626GT's years ago, last year I picked a similar set at 91% mark down, they cost 7$, didn't need or want them but couldn't pass up the sale, haven't used them on anything yet.

The 626 and MX6 bumpers are slightly different fitment but have the same shaped openings in the front, the left and right openings are kinda square and the perfect spot to mount fog lights, with the car jacked, looking up at that spot you have straight up access to the inner bumper, drill your mounting holes into the inner bumper, mount the brackets to it and the lights to the brackets.

Personally I think rectangular fog lights look the best with the headlights and pumper shape, round and oval fog lights wouldn't look right on these cars.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the gt models have foglights in their headlight housings.
I have several sets for the 1st gen headlights. Some are from Gt models and I have looked at the housing and am having trouble seeing them. do you have a picture of what is should look like or how they wiring harness differ?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I have several sets for the 1st gen headlights. Some are from Gt models and I have looked at the housing and am having trouble seeing them. do you have a picture of what is should look like or how they wiring harness differ?
Left to right: Parking/running light, hi/lo beam, fog.

Every MX6 i've found, GT or LX, had fogs. 626 from what i've found, had an additional parking light in place of the fogs. The wiring going to the lights themselves should be the same, but the plug may differ a little. I don't think that there was an extra relay for the fogs on the MX6 (or GT, if it's truly GT-specific) but rather it just probably had a stronger fuse. I can tell you that if you re-wire the fogs yourself drawing battery power direct through a relay, they are MUCH brighter than stock.

How to tell if you have foglight headlight housings: It will literally say "fog" on that portion of the housing on the backside. The 626 units i have say "parking." If they have bulbs in them, they will be much different as well.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Left to right: Parking/running light, hi/lo beam, fog.

Every MX6 i've found, GT or LX, had fogs. 626 from what i've found, had an additional parking light in place of the fogs. The wiring going to the lights themselves should be the same, but the plug may differ a little. I don't think that there was an extra relay for the fogs on the MX6 (or GT, if it's truly GT-specific) but rather it just probably had a stronger fuse. I can tell you that if you re-wire the fogs yourself drawing battery power direct through a relay, they are MUCH brighter than stock.

How to tell if you have foglight headlight housings: It will literally say "fog" on that portion of the housing on the backside. The 626 units i have say "parking." If they have bulbs in them, they will be much different as well.

Thanks! Must have over looked that.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Does anybody know where I can get one more connector for the fog light? I have one but need the other so I can install it on my car.
I don't recall ever seeing anything that looked like that on a GD fog light. I can check my stash this week. I have 3-4 pairs of headlights w/ fogs that i need to sell off anyways.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't recall ever seeing anything that looked like that on a GD fog light. I can check my stash this week. I have 3-4 pairs of headlights w/ fogs that i need to sell off anyways.

You don't have to worry about it. I l'm just going to install custom fog lights. I'll either sell the gt headlights or wait till I find another gt in a junkyard. I'll post pictures when I do the fog lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
You don't have to worry about it. I l'm just going to install custom fog lights. I'll either sell the gt headlights or wait till I find another gt in a junkyard. I'll post pictures when I do the fog lights.

FWIW i did rectangle lights exactly as Mazda Carnage talked about to look just like what was in the Capella scans i linked to. Worked great. Removed them later for brake ducting.

No worries on the lights. I have a ton of stuff i need to get rid of. Car went to the crusher a couple weeks back.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW i did rectangle lights exactly as Mazda Carnage talked about to look just like what was in the Capella scans i linked to. Worked great. Removed them later for brake ducting.

No worries on the lights. I have a ton of stuff i need to get rid of. Car went to the crusher a couple weeks back.

Sorry to hear about the car.

My brother has a e36 m3 with really good fog lights. Thinking about buying some of those and modifying the bumper to fit them. Think I only need to make the hole 2.5 inches wider.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Some things I've done:

Anything square will work. Just don't go to the rice isle at autozone and get something with blue LEDs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the gt models have foglights in their headlight housings.
Does anybody know the bulb part # for these fogs? I'm driving early in the am on a mountain road, and returning home at night. I need all the help I can get lighting up the road.

BTW, I've searched everywhere but recall seeing #9004 but cannot locate that post now.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anybody know the bulb part # for these fogs? I'm driving early in the am on a mountain road, and returning home at night. I need all the help I can get lighting up the road.

BTW, I've searched everywhere but recall seeing #9004 but cannot locate that post now.

If you are talking about the OEM bulb for the gt headlight housing, than I believe they are H3.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yep, links work thanks! Not sure why i didn't check prior, but I have a switch for the fogs on my dash. I never saw it, figured it was a defroster button. It has lost it's ability to stay switched, just worn out. So, I'm going to put some new bulbs into the empty sockets, buy and new switch for the dash, and I think I'll be good! Thanks all! This should be easy!

More Information for PHILIPS 12336 for standard replacements.
More Information for PHILIPS 12455RA for high wattage *100 watts*

I'm hoping those links work for you.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yep, links work thanks! Not sure why i didn't check prior, but I have a switch for the fogs on my dash. I never saw it, figured it was a defroster button. It has lost it's ability to stay switched, just worn out. So, I'm going to put some new bulbs into the empty sockets, buy and new switch for the dash, and I think I'll be good! Thanks all! This should be easy!

I have a factory fog light sw handy. I'll send it free (you pay shipping, after xmas) and over the holidays think of anything else you might still need ?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, Thanks! Yes, actually! How about the drivers side seatbelt receiver? I still need to install the passenger one you sold me, but the drivers side is pretty tired. Send me a text! You have my #!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts