Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Here goes...So, my glass sunroof worked. It was just really sticky and needed to be lubed up for it to be good again. This weekend, I was ready to tackle the sunroof. Headliner is non existent in my car. I opened the sunroof all the way using the a 5mm allen wrench. Was easy to do, Got it open and inside was a mess. I cleaned and lubed what I could. I removed the black plastic pieces n the rails toward the front of the car and stuck my spray silicone in there and lubed it all up. I let it all soak for an hour, Cleaned again and felt confident i may have a working sunroof.

Well, not the case...

I started to close the roof and it was twice as hard to close at it was to open. I got it about half way closed when the roof jammed. The crank just clicks, almost as if the mechanism is stripped that grips the cables. The pull cable appears to be stuck on the passenger side rail somewhere, as it's being pulled crooked. I can crank it hard and it skips both directions , but I can see the driver side of sunroof move in and out. I can barely see down in there. I decided that I need to remove the complete assy to access the whole mechanism and see what's going on. Got sunroof out of car, easy! using a 9mm socket I removed the 8 nuts and it was out. Now, It's out and I'm still stuck, I tried for hours to finagle this thing. Still not moving. Tonight, I'm going to remove the motor(three phillips head screws), and access the gear under it and see if there's anything I can do, possibly replace the gear and try again with cranking the cables once that piece is replaced. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure how to proceed. I cannot get access to the cables under the glass since it's halfway closed.

Anybody have experience with this? Any remedy? I'm seriously considering epoxying in another roof from a donor car if I can find one. I downloaded the repair manual section 14 and 15 for the sunroof, but didnt' help much. I'll report back if I have any success. Nobody mentions this problem in all my searches.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got it to move once I removed motor assy. Was very difficult and took lots of coaxing and an entire can of Silicone, but it's ready to be installed back into car now. I'm pretty sure the passenger side cable is broken, so sunroof is not useable, but I can atleast put it back into car now. Here's some pics, I hope they work...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have just done the very same thing a couple of weeks ago, removed the entire sunroof assembly. I stripped it right down entirely, removed the cables and everything. Cleaned everything and greased it all up with white grease. I found that the drip rail was sticking the most. Re-assembled and now working sweet as.

Reactions: 89MX6GTTurbo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just done the very same thing a couple of weeks ago, removed the entire sunroof assembly. I stripped it right down entirely, removed the cables and everything. Cleaned everything and greased it all up with white grease. I found that the drip rail was sticking the most. Re-assembled and now working sweet as.
Nice. I too was thinking the driprail was the culprit. It just slides and doesn't so much except for catch crap in the rails. I did get movement back into the roof and got it slid all the way forward. I cleaned and cleaned, and lubed like crazy. I installed back into car. I did break something when I forced it forward. It was starting to rain here in Cal last weekend so I had to reinstall it in the car. At least I can now access bolts on underside of glass to remove panel. At that point I can get to the cables and see what's really going on. I don't think I'll need to remove from car again to do all that. It appears that the coils on the cable are stripped in one spot where it got stuck, maybe I even broke a cable, Not sure. I did remove and install all by myself which wasn't too difficult, for those who are solo doing this project. Use the seat headrests as a support :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts