Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of making a turbo manifold for an Fe3. This post will be updated as I go along. I chose a rather simple design without equal length pipes, since it's easier to make than the one FE3t made. (I have heard this only makes a difference in 400+ horsepower applications anyways) This will be much like the one FallGuy makes for F2T.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Step 1: Flange shape

This is the beginning of the flange. (Thanks to FE3T for the template) It is 3/8" iron & steel alloy that has been roughly cut down to shape with a plasma cutter. Cutting this alone took nearly an hour because I was using a rather small plasma cutter and the plate is very thick! A holesaw/drill press and plasma cutter will be used to get the oval shape of the ports.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Step 2: Flange after drilling

The flange is now almost complete. Some more grinding on the outside and front/back is required. A plasma cutter will be used to clean up the material left in the ports by the holesaw, then will be ground smooth with a die grinder.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Step 3: Flange after grinding

About 95% complete, all that is left is final porting stages when the pipes are welded on.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Step 4: Pipe shape

Elbows and pipe were smaller and had to be heated then hammer formed to get the oval shape of the ports.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Step 6: Test fit/ Middle Pipes

Test fit of some pieces.

After the two middle pieces were made, the center pipe was put in a vise and a holesaw in a drillpress was used to make the openings. Right now I am in the process of welding the pipes together, and then they will be welded to the flange in short bursts to reduce warpage from welding.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Step 7: Welding flage and pipes together

The flange has now been welded to the pipes. Since a mig welder was used, the welding could only be done in short spurts, about 1/2" at a time and allowed to cool. If this was not done, it would have warped it completely out of shape. The flange still warped, but it will be milled when the manifold is complete.

The next step will be attaching a turbine inlet pipe/flange.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step 8

Welded the collector to the manifold and ported/polished the runners with a die grinder. All that's left is to make a flange to mount the turbo and test fit it under the hood for clearance, then weld it on get the flanges milled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts