Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an oem rear strut tower brace the other day and figured it would help out some people when they install one. This made a noticable difference in handling on my car, would have been better if I had gotten the Rear tie bar as well.

Step 1: Getting the rstb.

You can get an oem RSTB from the dealer for about $80 or the junk yard for a nice price. They came on the 90-92 MX-6 GT. Make sure you get the brackets, bolts, and the bar itself.

www.probesport.com also sells an aftermarket one for the 89-92 probe which I think will work for the MX-6/626.

Tools Needed:
Flat Head and Phillips Screw drivers
Socket wrench with 5/8" and 11/16" (not real sure those were the sizes but they were in that area.)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 2: remove trunk carpet side panels

You have to remove the trunk side carpet to get to the rear strut mount nuts. This is done by removing the several large and small clips scattered through-out the panel. There is also a hidden philips head screw and 2 clips behind the interior rear panel. You will have to drop the backs of your rear seat and just pop that rear panel loose by pulling on it gently.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 3: Cut the side carpeting

You have to cut the top of the side panel down about 3" to have the RSTB mount exposed. I figured this out after i had already tried to install it. Just make 2 3"-4" slits and fold it back.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Step 4: Mounting the RSTB

Remove the 2 inner most nuts on the strut tower. Put the mount into position on the tower to where the rstb mount curves around the top of the tower. Now put the nuts back on and secure them tightly. Repeat on the other tower, only do one side at a time.

Now reinstall your carpet sides while your in this position.

(I don't have a picture because my camera messed up on this one after everything was said and done.)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Step 4: Install the bar and drive

Now install the bar itself and secure it to the mounts. This is done with 2 large bolts, make sure the F's on the bar face the front.

Now all thats left is to drive and see if you feel a difference, its kinda hard to tell but you will notice a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts