I have an 88 mx6 GT needs the struts changed
don't wana spend a grand on gettin auto suspension on it
so i wana know what my options are on putting straight ones in
thanx for all the help

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Your options are:
-Konis...about $160 each, and you don't get an entire strut, you have to cut the inside out of your old ones and stick in the Koni cartridge. They are adjustable.

-Tokico...about $120 each, non-adjustable, stiffer than stock. Complete strut, fits in without a prob they say.

-KYB...about $65 each, non-adjustable, about the same as stock. Complete strut, fits in without a problem I know because I have them.

-Gabriel Auto-Adjust struts from AutoZONE. These replace your stock auto-adjust struts. I don't know anyone who has them or how good they are. They ARE gauranteed for life, but convincing the AutoZONE people that you need a free replacement (proving it to them) every time they wear out may get old.

-Put in 2nd generation struts. It has been said that 2nd gen. struts and springs will fit on the front, and in the rear also if you shave 1/16" off your rear spindle. You have to use both the 2nd gen. struts and springs though, and it will lower the car about an inch. This opens your options up because if you went this route you could use Tokico Illumina adjustables.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hmmm...if I had known that I could have got them that cheap I would have gotten Tokicos. Did you use a 30% off coupon or something?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i paid $250, or there abouts, for my tokico's from carparts...but that's because i used the 30% off coupon...:) but yeah, i would definitely recommend them, they were a perfect fit, the only thing i had to do was to bend the brake line mount a little with a screwdriver so that the brake line would fit properly, not a big deal really....i would check out http://www.importhookup.com because they usually have a lot of deals/coupons for aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I would be more inclined to buy something from Carparts.com if they would've gotten my Pacesetter shifter to me already. I've been waiting for a month or more. Maybe it is Pacesetter's fault though I don't know.

·
Registered
405 Posts
i used a 33% off coupon, but it was only good until $100. so i got a hundred bucks off. my stuff only took 3 days to get here. i will buy from them anytime, from now on, even if i have to pay a few bucks extra.

$250 bucks, wow that is a smoking deal, especially for tokico's. i wish i could have gotten in on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey antisuv, i know what you mean about carparts. i ordered my struts in early november and i only got them at the end of december. it gets a little ridiculous to have to wait that long but i guess i'm being a little picky, considering how little i paid for them. smachan, i don't know how you ordered yours but i used the online 'mechanic' chat because i couldn't find the part numbers on the site so i spoke to him and ordered it from him...i gave him my coupon number for the 33% off and i don't think he realized that it was only for a max of $100 so i lucked out big time! ;)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah I think there was a rush to buy Pacesetter shifters when Carparts.com lowered the price to $65 or whatever it was from around $120. I don't think Pacesetter actually had enough of them on hand and now they have to make more and that's what's slowing the process down. Carparts.com probably only lowered the price becuase there weren't that many left. I used a coupon too so it was still less than $65 after shipping was added.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts