Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just came across an 87 mazda mx6 gt turbo for sale and the transmission is stuck in 3rd gear. i plan to buy this car i just wanted to know if the non turbo transmission will work with this car. thanks for the help

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
It will fit, but the turbo motor is gonna chew it up quick.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
it will not bolt directly up unless you replace the clutch disc and pilot bearing. The gt has a larger trans input shaft. PM me if you need any help or more specifics. Is it an 87 626 or an 88mx6?

oh and i second what ^he said.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
The changeover between the GC and GD was June '87.

If its a GC the only difference between a turbo and non turbo box is that the turbo box has a hydraulic clutch.

If its a GD its as per what everyone else has said.

Probably if your kind to gearboxes you can live with a g-type box behind the stock turbo motor....if you like power shifting and burnouts...forget it. (not that the turbo box likes that stuff all that much better)

·
Registered
40 Posts
fix

if the transmission is stuck in a gear, pull out the three bolts on the bottom drivers side of the car, pull out the springs and balls. dont loose them! i do one at a time with the wife wiggling the shifter aggressively, and they'll pop out. when all three are out, shake the shifter around all the gears, might take awhile but should pop out. got alot of wet metal powder outta mine, happened twice, and has'nt locked up since. saved me money. just trying to help.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts