Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is faster... a first gen GT or a 2nd gen V6? Just curious b/c out of all the mx6 kills stories, i never hear anyone with this race combo.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
My 1st gen is all stock. I smoke Modded out 2nd gens all the time!! It is fun.

Settle down yall, just a joke. I'd be curious--I think they are about the same.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
they're pretty even...

jiffy6969 said:
My 1st gen is all stock. I smoke Modded out 2nd gens all the time!! It is fun.

Yep. They're really close. Motor Trend, in August 1994, had a bang-for-the-buck comparo. In it they tested the PGT and the MX6 LS among a bunch of other cars (Mustang, Corvette, BMW 325 etc).

The PGT turned 7.5-sec 0-60 and [email protected] for them while the MX6 ran a 7.6-sec and [email protected]

From the October 1991 issue of Motor Trend "Road Test Review", they have:

1990 Probe GT: 8.0-sec and [email protected]
1990 MX6 GT: 8.0-sec and [email protected]

From the November 1991 issue of Road & Track "Road Test Summary":

1990 Probe GT: 7.6-sec and 16.0 (no MPH given)
(MX6 GT not shown)

I dunno. In straight line acceleration, I call it a wash.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Although I never had the oportunity to take on a 2nd gen MX6, I did take on a 2nd Gen Probe. This was years ago before I did any modifications to my 1st gen and I was pure stock.

I had him all the way. I did not know the guy so I can not comment on his driving form but I do know that he was going all out and that it was a 5sp. I had my window open and I could tell by the sound. Off the line was were about even to about 20-25 after that I was slowly pulling on him until about 75-80 which is where I was the clear winner and he gave in.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Re: they're pretty even...

Mike 94PGT said:
jiffy6969 said:
I dunno. In straight line acceleration, I call it a wash.
I think this is one of the situations that you'd have to put the win or loss solely on the driver's skill and cars condition...

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have a 2nd Gen, I took on a 626 Turbo hatch (same thing as an MX-6 1st gen)at the lights once, my MX-6 was stock at the time, and so was his car. I was on his ass all through until 4th gear, when I backed off due to traffic. So, in my experience, they are more or less equal....but a 1st gen with a few mods is a different kettle of fish !

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
My 626 has about $100 in power adding mods, and I ripped off a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds (gtech tested). Gotta love it :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
jiffy6969, saying that your "stock" 1st gen mx6 can beat a 2nd gen "modded" mx6 "ALL THE TIME" is overexageration buddy. They are pretty much even stock vs. stock. Can't see how that is possible your beating modified 2nd gens, unless your racing a beginner.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
jiffy6969 said:

It just sounded funny (the part about me smoking 2nd Gens).

·
Registered
36 Posts
i got a ist gen and i think the 2nd gen is a little slower stock to stock, but not much maybe 1 or 2 car lengths.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
The only way to talk about this is talking stock for stock at from mile ZERO. You can't compare anything else now and get an "answer" as things vary with 100k miles of wear from how it was driven for it's life to what kind of oil was being used.

However, for sake of argument. When I was putting down ~168whp / 160wtq, I raced a friend that is basically stock (1g MX-6 with filter and coil) on the highway. Bear in mind, I was running ZE VRIS points with a DE IM at the time so I didn't really have that much power (but why dyno with the wrong IM). However, he ALMOST hung with me on the highway (which is where 1g's shine) from about an 80mph+ roll with me in 4th.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.