Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
my first gen used to run at 1/4 on the guage, now it runs at half, just got the thermostat replaced and the radiator completely cleaned and unblocked, jsut wonder what all you guys sit at so i can judge whats normal........

·
Registered
793 Posts
mine used too sit on half way then i did my thermostat and housing. it now sits 1/4 all the time

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
My MX6 - Half way and doesn't budge for anyone, or anything. Including thermostats, new coolant, cleaned radiator.

Mothers TX5 - Just below 1/4 and again doesn't budge for anyone or anything...

But funnily enough but car doesn't feel any hotter than hers... infact I think her's is hotter than mine... Maybe the sender... I'm not sure.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Depends what themostat you have in your car. There the same basic thermostat but be sure to look what temperature range it operates in if your buying a new one.. if it specifies an 84 degree c operating temperature and the one your replacing is an 80 degree c then your water temperature will change and the guage will read higher.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
236 Posts
all,

My gauge seems to display true to form. If it is cold, it will say so. Normal running temperature is midway on the gauge. And only recently, when the radiator was leaking coolant, it skyrocketed to be in the red. The surprising thing though, when I replaced the radiator after that incident, the needle still sat in the middle for normal operating conditions even when the new radiator I put in was dual core instead of single core and my mechanic assures me the thermostat is on the money. Go figure.

shaun.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
my4isrobs said:
Depends what themostat you have in your car. There the same basic thermostat but be sure to look what temperature range it operates in if your buying a new one.. if it specifies an 84 degree c operating temperature and the one your replacing is an 80 degree c then your water temperature will change and the guage will read higher.

Hope that helps
The temp stamped on a stat is the "opening/closing" temp and has little to do with your engines operating temp. If you don't believe me, unplug your fans and leave your car running for a while. Your radiator regulates water temp not your thermostat. Your stats only job is to get your engine hot quickly by blocking coolant flow, then it stays open and does nothing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts