Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey MM

I've got a 91 MX-6 with stock alum. rims, they have a bunch of small scratches and fine marks on them. Looks like someone took a SOS pad to them. What can been done to them. Can you paint them or do they make something to remove the scratches?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scratched rims

I also own a "91 GT Turbo that had the same problem with scratches on the rims. The only resolution was to either use armor all or equivalent to cover them up, (try it and you'll see it works) or do as I did and buy paint remover (non-toxic brand purchased at Wal-Mart) to remove the clear coat. If you do decide to remove the clear coat, pay very close attention when taping off the painted slots in the rims as not to get any of the paint remover on this area. If you do, you will have more work as paint will be needed. Also, you will be polishing the rims with Mag polish that makes them shine like crazy, but takes a lot of elbow grease and patience. Hope the info is helpful.....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
On the 92 that I have I think I am going to try and use a high speed buffer on that clear coat with a bit of polish and see what happens.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Manifest, the procedure you just mentioned (high speed buffer) accompanied with any kind of abrasive polish is precisely the procedure that caused the scratches on my rims. The rims come from the factory with a thin film of clear coat that is very susceptible to scratches. If they are fine scratches such as a buffer would produce, they can be covered up with rubber dressing, Armor All or equivalent. This was discovered by accident one day while using a tire dressing. The wheels were scratched using a buffer trying to remove paint over spray from a repair done on my car. You can do as you like, but I know from experience what results you will get. By the way, if you want your MX to remain looking factory, you may look into a rim restoration web site that will charge you approx. $100.00 per rim for repair. Lotsa luck....XO

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Not sure of the correct procedure. But there are ways to take out light scratches in clear coat finishes using a buffer and the right products. Will be looking it up more and see what happens. The rims are already scratched up and worst case I will take it off completly and polish with alm. polish.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
buff with wax!

if your going to buff wheels, which is a very good idea, you must use wax, otherwise you will end up with scratches like people have said. Once you buff a coat of wax into the wheels, you'll be able to see your own reflection in them. also they stay cleaner longer and are much easier to clean once they do get dirty. i would not attempt to clean polished wheels with solvent, or super clean, just banana wax, it does the trick and then some!

Eric

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
simon, you wheels are like mine, they get dirty fast

our wheels have the same texture, they attract brake dust like a yellow car attracts cops. only way to keep em clean is to wash em with soap or super clean on a regular basis

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts