Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody bought a rear strut brace (bar) for his/her 1st generation mx-6? If so can you tell me where?

Thanx
Tod

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The rear strut brace is a stock item on '90 and later mx-6 GT's. Just find one in a junkyard or order the parts from Mazda. One of our members, Manifest, has the rear strut brace so he should be able to tell you more about it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I have pics of it posted on my website below under the performance section. It works quite nicely. I have had personal experience with Mazda saying that the part is NLA (no longer available), but others on probetalk say they can still order it from Mazda. I suggest as Anarchy34 says, junkyard or try and order it. If you do/can order it, it should run about $70 from Mazda.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have heard too that the parts are no longer available. However when I called the Mazda dealer they knew the part numbers and made it sound like they might be available.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
All parts but the "bar" are available. This is the center portion of the rear strut bar. Can't do too much without it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Mazda just now and they can order the factory rear oem strut bar (brace) for about $70 cdn. I'll post on how things go along!

Tod

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is what the guy said, the part is still listed for sure (even faxed me a picture!)1)if its in canada delivery is 2 days, 2) if its in the US delivery in 1 week 3) if has to be made in japan by mazda delivery is 4 weeks. if anybody wants to see a picture give me a fax number!
Tod

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
if you could get the other parts....you might beable to buy a front strut bar and just use the bar on the rear monting brackets....I know most of the strut bars are adjustable...That could work, as well as look good...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats a good idea b/c the parts guy said that the end brackets can be ordered seperately for $10 each!
Tod

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Basicly the dealer told me the same thing, then they placed it on order and within about 3 days it came back NLA. Hope you get it! If so get more and start selling them here. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Manifest said:
...I have had personal experience with Mazda saying that the part is NLA (no longer available)...
Read carefully, young one. there is lots to learn. :)

[Edited by Rendell on 12-05-2000 at 11:21 PM]

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
strut bar

The idea of using a bar from a front brace on the rear end brackets may not work because the end brackets will only accept a narrow, flattened tube, type of bar. (The bar on the rear brace is just a black painted metal tube with flattened ends that have holes drilled in them.)

I ordered mine from my Mazda dealer and it came in without a problem, but I think they had to have one send either from Japan or some obscure warehouse someplace. I think a bunch of dealers say it is NLA because either they are too lazy to order things from places they don't normally get parts from, don't have contacts with very many warehouses, or are generally dumb or something. Luckily the guy I deal with knows what he's doing. Mazda parts don't come from just one supply warehouse; there are warehouses in different parts of the country that stock different things, and when any of them run out of something, I think they have more sent over from Japan.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I know it accepts flattened ends...if you look at the front strut tower braces...they have flat ends. Also a plus, you could get them in chrome..hehe manifest has the flattened ends on his front strut brace...Hey manifest, could you do us a favor and see if that front brace would actually mount up to the rear brackets? that would be great..some pics would be cool...hehe..thanks!

[Edited by MX-Nick on 12-05-2000 at 11:55 PM]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just talked to my local mazda sales rep, he said that he found a bar and the 2 brackets back east (USA) but the bolts and washers are on back order. no big deal i'll buy those here. so it sounds like these bars are out there you just have to talk to the right person, the guy i've been talking with is really nice and has spent 2 days trying to find me my rsb!

Tod

·
Registered
318 Posts
Can you be so nice as to post the part numbers? Last time I called teh dealer I had them all confused. They didn't seem to know what a "rear strut brace" was. I finally gave up trying to explain it.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
These should be the part numbers. I recomend getting the bolts because they are hard to find.

Rear strut bar G311-28-913

The Left Plate G311-28-9Y0 is $12.25
The Right Plate G311-28-9Z0 is also $12.25

Never found out why thre are different part numbers for the plates. They are exactly the same.

The bolts 9978-41-230 is $3.20 each (need 2)
The nuts 9995-21-200 is $.60 each (need 2)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts