Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1st mods :D

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Snuff 
G
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 1989 ford telstar GHIA N/A, very god condition F2 2.2L.

ok I have decided that i will get a sway bar and front strut, first, but what performance mod should come next, I searched the forums and all the post i found like this were for turbo versions, I am slowly going to be building up, any suggestions, I was thinking of chipping it, for fuel economy/performance, what sort of gains do N/A's get with a chip? fuel economy would be a bonus with a chip.

all suggestions for mods would be appreciated

Cheers
Daniel

EDIT: just found this

#2 ·
just get a cat back exhaust and filter, these are the only two things you could use later with a f2t
make sure the cat back is atleast 2.5inch nothing less
i personnaly wouldnt touch the f2 if i was going turbo later.
you will be paying the value of your car to get a turbo motor, turbo gearbox, turbo driveshafts/computer/mounts/intercooler/pipes/etc.
i suggest sell your car and save for a tx5 turbo

#3 ·
Well simply the best thing is to find a FE DOHC 2L that's the bang for buck right there.

The F2 can hold it's own but with say a 100KW SX corrolla. So don't think it's that bad. but the DOHC motor will hold it's own with say a stock 2nd gen V6. or say a VS ecotec, 304 V8 mid 80's commy.

If you want to got turbo latter, just do flex pipe - factory ones are crap CAt and the rest. On the N/A's you can get extractors ETC but it's not that big a deal over all. but it does help up top.

First thing is not to pod the dam thing. Just remove the intake to the box either the silencer or whole new intake pipe with cold air-feed. K & N filter panel if you want, or POD If have too. I just never seen a real benifit on a motor that does not really breath and has been tuned for torque.

The Chip stakes for get it - reason is you want something to move on only thing is either a Unichip or complete aftermarket unit. which is a bit of a waste. Just do the electrics Plugs leads rotor button and Cap. Get the timing spot on. The timing is not done by the ECU like in a F2T only the turbo models and FE DOHC do the retard and advance on the dizzy.
The Aftermarket ECU's are the only ones where you can get some real use out of buying one.
Chip is not going to do anything unless you play with head .

If you ever do, do a head get it shaved to bump comp up a bit.
you cna go all out but, this is where you have to question
HOW MUCH DO I WANT TO SPEND ON THE CAR?

my old man was going ot put a unichip into the Wagon but why as it goes fine enough now. still uses most of the original exhaust slighlty modded intake. is in perfect condition, Not that quick but is fine for what it does. It's an auto and cna keep with a 100KW SX corrolla what more do I need.

#4 ·
the next major mod going in my first gen is something to sort out the torque steer .. I’m going to wack in a Phantom grip.. cos this thing is dangerous as it is.. if you plant it on a bend or corner you just slide sideways…
I haven’t even tried it in the wet yet.. but it must be a death trap..

#5 ·
Aint that the truth! Its a death trap allright! I was racing a lightly modded et pulsar downhill after it had been raining. The road was dry, but a gutter was still overflowing across the road in one section. I torque steered badly in the water and over corrected, so when the falkens gripped the dry surface again, i was oversteering majorly, ended up doing a full 180 thru the corner and smashing into a retaining wall. Car was off the road for 12 weeks! with repairs (nrma ar so slow) Only got her back on last friday. Any information about where i can get a phantom grip lsd for my 1st gen would be great!

#6 ·
I was planing on making up my own one .. I don’t know is we have the same box.. but if so I can get 2 made up (I haven’t gone that far with this idea yet)
It has got to be way cheaper and quicker than that torsan debarkel..

#7 ·
The road was dry, but a gutter was still overflowing across the road in one section. I torque steered badly in the water and over corrected, so when the falkens gripped the dry surface again, i was oversteering majorly, ended up doing a full 180 thru the corner and smashing into a retaining wall.
exactly what has happened to me around this notorious round-about in my area..thankfully there is no wall and the car just spins out hehe...lots of try hard riced up cars in the area seem to stop right next to me right before the round-about and of course they think "psstt that looks like a normal car" .... as soon as i let the BOV vent next to their window as im blitzing past them...their mouths drop wide open :)

but yeah...i never really new what torque steer was until i experienced it first hand in this car :)

G
#9 ·
yeh i think i will save for an FE3 DOHC, sounds like the best solution, some suspension mods and I was thinking a respray and EVO V front bar, I will just make a BFI (big F$#king intake) and relocat battery to boot, some sound, I have reprayed and vinyled the whole of the front dash now so things are looking good.

:D thx for the help :D

#11 ·
i dont get wheel spin except when on hard boost(im ATX) so LSD wont really help me spinning out with oversteer hehe

#12 ·
If you haven't spent any money yet I would seriously consider getting the turbo model first. This would be the cheapest performance 'modification' you could buy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.