Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok i got my turbo 1/2 apart on my desk. im about to remove the exhuast side of the turbo then i wanna separate the compressor wheel from the shaft.

does it just pull off or is there a method to remove it? im trying to be careful since this is my first time rebuilding a turbo and i dont wanna ruin anything. i gotto send my wheel and shaft out for balancing as im rebuilding a tbird hybrid.

also what is the best way to get the exhaust side to separate from the center section. i dont wanna bang on it but its pretty well stuck

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
rubber mallet or some other dead blow to the turbine housing. This has to come off first before you worry about getting the compressor wheel/turbine shaft out of the center section. :)

Good luck on the rebuild...hopefully you have all the tools necessary and correct sized bearings :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rubber mallet or some other dead blow to the turbine housing. This has to come off first before you worry about getting the compressor wheel/turbine shaft out of the center section. :)

Good luck on the rebuild...hopefully you have all the tools necessary and correct sized bearings :)
yeah hopefully. im in school right now for auto so if theres a tool i need ill just go buy it. im already in it 1200 in tools and im in my first semester lol. i ordered the rebuild kit from turbocity so i hope its right.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
yeah hopefully. im in school right now for auto so if theres a tool i need ill just go buy it. im already in it 1200 in tools and im in my first semester lol. i ordered the rebuild kit from turbocity so i hope its right.
The one tool you'll need is the proto inside snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im having allot of trouble getting the exhuast side off... not quite sure how to clamp the center section so i can hit the exhuast side with a mallet.... maybe my vice just isnt the right size.... any advice on how to do this....

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I use PB Blaster and soak it...let it sit for a little bit and just hold the center section in your hand, at least that is what I do. I smack opposing sides so I don't damage the turbine wheel.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just kept going around the turbine housing (exhaust) witht he rubber mallet. I eventually broke loose. Be careful not to dig the wheels when it comes off.

I have a great deal of trouble with the T-10 screws that hold one of the plates in.... Ceased in.

That will be your next challenge after getting the comp wheel off.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah ive tried about all i can do on my own... i cant get the bitch to separate for me....

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
if u mark the wheels before taking them off u wont have to sent them out for balance...unless the shaft is bad...in which case you'll wanna send out for sandblast/balancing.

Reactions: MazdaMan069

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if u mark the wheels before taking them off u wont have to sent them out for balance...unless the shaft is bad...in which case you'll wanna send out for sandblast/balancing.

the wheel was slapped on the turbo by the previous owner without being balanced and used for a short time. im gonna rebuild it and balance it so its done good to last.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
For getting out those T-10 torx screws, You want a very good quality torx head bit that fits well.

Or if that fails then this worked for me. Not as well as in the video though!

Order Here!

Some hardware stores carry them.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
also, use a T type handle. If you use a screw handle type of driver you'll just strip them out. The T handles let you apply more torque to the head without stripping it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also, use a T type handle. If you use a screw handle type of driver you'll just strip them out. The T handles let you apply more torque to the head without stripping it.
where are the torx screws> inside where the exhaust housing covers? i got torx stuff not worried about that. i just cant get the damn exhaust side off the center

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
when you can't get it off, that's when I got to a machine shop :lol:

They have HEAT and lots of it :)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
where are the torx screws> inside where the exhaust housing covers? i got torx stuff not worried about that. i just cant get the damn exhaust side off the center
Damn wouldn't it be good if someone had written a detailed rebuild how to in the 1G forced induction FAQ section.

Makes you wonder why noone has before.

Oh wait they have!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn wouldn't it be good if someone had written a detailed rebuild how to in the 1G forced induction FAQ section.

Makes you wonder why noone has before.

Oh wait they have!
yeah it great but it doesnt show anything about separating the exhaust side from the center section.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Try heating it up with a torch as mentioned.... That method has worked for me in the past on really stubborn things.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
No as said hold the centre section with the turbine housing outlet facing down.
The axis of the turbine shaft should be vertical.
Hold it so that the exhaust housing is just an inch or so above your bench.

Tap firmly around the turbine housing at a few different point alternating sides so that it works it's way off straight.
After 5 or so minutes the turbine housing will drop onto the bench. Shazzam!

If that doesn't work move onto adding heat to the turbine housing to make it expand.

It's not rocket surgery!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No as said hold the centre section with the turbine housing outlet facing down.
The axis of the turbine shaft should be vertical.
Hold it so that the exhaust housing is just an inch or so above your bench.

Tap firmly around the turbine housing at a few different point alternating sides so that it works it's way off straight.
After 5 or so minutes the turbine housing will drop onto the bench. Shazzam!

If that doesn't work move onto adding heat to the turbine housing to make it expand.

It's not rocket surgery!
yeah this one wont come apart that easy. ive had it in my vise and pounded on it wth a 5lb mallet and it wont budge a smidge

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
i'd say soak it in PB blaster or just spray some penetrating oil in the seam and let it sit.

as everyone else has stated, heat is you friend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts