Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know if i can swap my 2.2 GT Turbo engine with a 2.0 GT and will it be compatible with the turbo (as computer and tranny)?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how does your work? and where did you get it?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I believe he bought his that way (stock). He's in europe.

The turbo (or any turbo for that matter) would work if you have a custom manifold made. Yes, the tranny works. I dunno about the ECU.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
ECU will NOT work...think about it logicly one is DOHC another is SOHC...but then again you could reprogram the CHIP :confused:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Slonman said:
how does your work? and where did you get it?
It works vey well
Starts easy and runs so smoth you can leave a coin standing on the valve cover
Its pulling from 1000rpm and up, on 3000rpm its really getting strong
and from ca 5200 (VICS changing point) rpm its gaining some extra uhmp and rushes up
to 6500 where its slowly looses power. the engine is a litle dangerous at high rews since its so strong up at 7000rpm its easy to overrew it when passing other cars.

The car are stock with this engine

you cant use a F2 or F2T computer

when it comes to how reliable it is, look at this post.

http://www.mx6.com/newmx6/board//showthread.php?s=&postid=68867#post68867 @-

You can find pics here
http://www.mx6.com/newmx6/board//showthread.php?s=&postid=57523#post57523

·
Registered
95 Posts
Out of curiosity, what is the horsepower rating of the 2.2 GTs engine vs the 2.0 16v engine? Would it be possible to use the 16v head off of a 2.0 on a 2.2 GTs engine? Would the head swap actually be of any benefit? One other question, what do the engine designations FE2,FE2T,FE3,FE3T stand for or mean?

·
Registered
449 Posts
The FE series engines.
There is a FE, F2, F2T, FE3.

The FE, F2, F2T and FE3 have similar block designs. The heads are interchangeable. The Fe and FE3 are both 2.0L with different heads. The F2 and F2T (turbo) are 2.2L. The 2.2Ls have longer strokes so they have 'taller' blocks but the head patterns are the same as the 2.0Ls. All engines except for the FE3 are SOHC engines. The Fe has a 8 valve head, the F2 and F2T have 12valve heads (two intakes and one exhaust valve per cylinder) and the Fe3 has 16 valves.

The FE3 head will work on any other engine but the intake and exhaust manifolds will not work that is where the engines are different. You must use the FE3 manifolds on the engine you are interchanging with.

There is no FE3T. Some have turbo'd their Fe3 and are calling them FE3Ts. the FE2 is the same as the F2 and the Fe2T is the same as the F2T. Just different names.

yes the Fe3 head would benefit alot. I have heard that the head flows 83% better than the F2 heads. More flow = more power!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
byrondee said:
Out of curiosity, what is the horsepower rating of the 2.2 GTs engine vs the 2.0 16v engine? Would it be possible to use the 16v head off of a 2.0 on a 2.2 GTs engine? Would the head swap actually be of any benefit? One other question, what do the engine designations FE2,FE2T,FE3,FE3T stand for or mean?
The 2,2GT are rated 145hp at 4000rpm
The 88 2,0 i 16 are rated 148hp at 6000rpm (89-91 140hp)
buth i belive both ratings are at the wheels
the 2,2GT has shitloads of torque but the
2,0 i 16 rews in a way a 2,2GT never can do
It migth be possible to use a 16V head on a 2,2 block
but you have to deal with a big problem
the 2,2 engines has 1 oil drain hole the 2,0 i 16 has 3
resulting in problems with draining oil back from the head to the
oil pan.this can cause big oil consume.

the corect names are:
F2 the non turbo 2,2
F2T the turbo 2,2
FE3 the 2,0 i 16
FE3T are just a dream of mine, a turbocharged FE3 engine

Ps there have been a lot of talking of FE3 engines on this board
even 2,2 engines with FE3 heads have been a popular theme
search and you will find.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
hurddawg said:
The FE series engines.
There is a FE, F2, F2T, FE3.

HIHIHI
there are also:
F8 a 1,8 SOCH 8 Valve
F6 a 1,6 SOCH 8 Valve
The F8 was aviable in 88 626
The F6 was aviable in 83-85 626
Both was only aviable with carburators
Ïm not 100% sure but i belive
both engines had the same 86mm bore as
the 2,0 and 2,2 l engines})

·
Registered
449 Posts
okay you've successfully proved that i am not a mazda expert.:D

I don't think the 1.8L/1.6L ones were offered in the US. During the 83-85 626s, the MA engine was offered...I think.

Where are the other two oil drain back holes?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
F6 also made its way in 'lantis'(323 astina) but as DOHC.....which makes me wonder if that head would swap....... 'F' family engines gave birth to 'B' family, ie the BP and B6 which both avalible in lantis/familia.....another wonder, BP turbo from familia GTr swap.....
there was also one disiel avalible for both first gen and second dont know the code/name/family of it though (hhhhmmm......KL-ZE gen one....hhhhmmmm)

the info is for the big brothere 626/capella/(and something alse they were known as....can't find it though :().....mx6s were only avalible:
US: F2(LX), F2T(GT)
Aust: GT only, F2T
Europe: F8, F6, Fe3(GT)
Japan: GT only, Fe3

this is as far as i know, more info is welcome........i just love learning about mazda :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Does anyone know what a MS6 is? They were sold in japan at one time.

Freddie--Were you in a wreck? I'm asking because your sig says "WAS white j-spec non-turbo 626:("

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so let me get this, if i swap a 2.2 with a Fe3 it would work but the turbo would not, swaping the heads is difficult too because of the 4 oil dran hole, so what i'm i left with? a 2.2 Turbo with high torqe but low rev's it dies after 5000rmp help me please i know for sure that the DOHC is more powerfull and with a turbo whoooooo, i used to own a 1989 Mazda 323 GT (1.6 DOCH) please help... i need higher rev's, this is the way i used to drive i can't go from 7000rpm to 3500rpm....help me!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
if you got a larger turbo on the F2T it would stretch further into the redline of 6k.

The only combo for high revs & power & DOHC is converting a FE3 to turbo. You'd have to get a custom made exhaust manifold and pistons (too high of compression, it's like 10:1). The internals of the Fe3 can handle the turbo othewise.

Other than that you are out of luck.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
hurddawg said:
Does anyone know what a MS6 is? They were sold in japan at one time.

Freddie--Were you in a wreck? I'm asking because your sig says "WAS white j-spec non-turbo 626:("

MS-6 is an Efini inhanced gen two 626 Hatch ONLY(just like mine but beeing first gen i did not resive different badging). MS-6 came out ONLY as 2.0 4 banger run for about 3 years i think then efini went High calss sports. there is also MS-8 which is 626 ge two sedan ONLY and avalible ONLY with KL-ZE. there is also MS-9 which is 929 but i don't know much about that one. there is also CRONOS which is gen two 626 hatch again only avalible with 2.0 4 banger, i think most went to south east asian market though
i didn't resive different badgeing because Efini was established as a separate stream in 1990 which meant that it was too late for GD model.
yes i was in the crash, but its all good she is getting repared...so when that sig changes i got my baby back :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
same for me.

thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Slonman and hurddawg: I can't guarantee this, but I'm pretty sure there is a guy inmy area who is running an FE3T motor with stock pistons. It was an FE3, but he had the manifold made and slapped a decent turbo on it. I believe he said compression was 10.3:1, but he runs it like that. He's run a 12.?? 1/4 with it before. His name is Jahmarr, also known as JayB on some message boards. He took me for a drive. As far as the pistons having too much compression for a a turbo I don't know about that, he seems to have no problems. There is a post on this board that has a link to his post on another board, just scroll up this page. I would provide a link but am honestly tired as hell and don't feel like tracking it down right now. I've been posting info on how to made a N/A MX6 into a turbo one. A lot of people seem to have this "Oh, it isn't possible unless you drop $10K into it" philosophy, B/S! Anyway, look for that post, or if ya want to his email is [email protected] Ask him. He's doin a turbo and head sap for me soon. SOHC to SOHC, just getting one on better shape put on, mine is F*ed, and a T3/T04 turbo is goin on.
What? What's that? Oh Hell yeah, I can't wait to feel 17psi on this T3/T04, I was running 17psi on a t-bird one before I killed it, one quick trip to 8000rpm's and the darn thing just wasn't the same, oh well. LoL. I had to override my rev-limiter and downshift to 2nd doin 80mph, I had no brakes, rear caliper broke on me. Either over-rev it or hit someone, no-win situation.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I know JayB has a FE3T motor...actually only person I know. Even though he is running high compression, he also has some massive electronic systems to prevent detonation (if he is running that high CR). You've got to realize what he is doing to prevent it, much more than what people are willing to pay.

You'll realize much more HP with the lower CR just because you can boost sooo much more. I misspoke in my earlier post. Boost reveals more ponies than increasing the CR. It just seems a lot safer to have it lower. To that philosophy you were talking about---I don't think I even gave a hint of high prices, just the truth (Manifold, and custom pistons).

PS I am one of the guys that IS doing a turbo conversion. I guess you haven't seen my posts, like I haven't seen yours. I was figuring that I was the only one attempting it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
one last thing...I wouldn't get a TKT garrett. I've heard horrible things about his equipment. If you want quality get one from RAW POWER.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts