Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do visit this board regularily and mostly gather quite a bit of information from you all.

Thought I would post some pics of my www.hiboost.com setup on the FS series engine.

I am putting together my own website to provide a full review of the kit, but here are some quick photos.

I will do my best to answer any question you may have.

Some basics:

IHI Turbo (ball bearing...IHI with a 48.5mm compressor wheel and 20Z turbine)
Haltech F10 - Temp Sensor, Coolant Sensor, MAP, stock 02
Ceramic Coated - www.fireballcoatings.com (ontario)

you can visit www.hiboost.com for mor details.

the other side....very nice fit...with some room to spare

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question

What psi are you running? I do not think this will fit the mx6 2.0, due to the distributor and the intake piping (over the engine). On the mx6 2.0 there is very little clearance for even the strut tower bar. My Strut bar even rubs against the hood.

I do like how the turbo kit looks installed on the car. If I had to choose between the WRX Wagon or the Mazda Wagon - I would choose the Mazda wagon!! The mazda wagon already has better styling, and now a sweet turbo kit to top it off!

Do you think there will be a kit or a way to modify the HiBoost kit to fit on our MX6 2.0?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Question

Krazy6 said:
What psi are you running? I do not think this will fit the mx6 2.0, due to the distributor and the intake piping (over the engine). On the mx6 2.0 there is very little clearance for even the strut tower bar. My Strut bar even rubs against the hood.

I do like how the turbo kit looks installed on the car. If I had to choose between the WRX Wagon or the Mazda Wagon - I would choose the Mazda wagon!! The mazda wagon already has better styling, and now a sweet turbo kit to top it off!

Do you think there will be a kit or a way to modify the HiBoost kit to fit on our MX6 2.0?
8PSI for now...i could go to 10PSI but the stock injectors approach the 100% duty cycle barrier...and its not safe in that aspect.

Agreed...I am trying to visualize the engine bay of the Mx-6 and I don't think it would be easy.

www.spool-turbo.com
www.wagnermotorsports.net

both have exhaust manifolds that could easily be used with your own piping.

I think the take away from the Hiboost set up is the following:

1) Haltech f10 ECU - Injector control, pre mapped for the FS serious motor (you should always re-tune), it does not use an FMU nor does it require an upgraded Fuel pump.

2) They do sell the haltech and the required sensors seperately. Air Temp, Coolent Temp, MAP, TPS and Battery Voltage are used to properly maintain the correct A/F ratio and squeeze the most performance out of the setup.

3) Hiboost is also working (i think its done) on the Haltech E6X with upgraded 440 injectors. This will take the FS series to the next level (internals should be upgraded). But with FULL TIMING and FULL FUEL control we are talking about serious 300+whp possibilities.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Courtice6er said:
Have you sold your stock rims yet????
Sorry dude...I use my stock rims in the winter...they have a set of winter rubber on them as we speak.

Visit www.toprotege.com ...you may find quite a number of people selling their stock 16" rims....a think a few are also selling their stock 16" rims for the Mazdaspeed Protege.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What is with your manifold??? I don't think I've ever seen a turbo mani with bolts coming out of the TOP?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Traiko said:
What is with your manifold??? I don't think I've ever seen a turbo mani with bolts coming out of the TOP?
The manifold is made of cast iron...with a highly efficient 4 runner setup. I will double check for the correct terminology, but those bolts are to fill in small holes created in the casting process. They serve no post product function.... so that is what is up with my manifold. :) (sensed a bit of attitude from your post...but hings get misinterpreted on the internet)

The manifold is so well designed that it also has relief cuts to allow for expansion from heat.

I got a few PMs regarding the turbo itself...is an IHI VF-22.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cool... I learn something new everyday. My post wasn't meant to have a deragotory underline, sorry. I was just sort of in awe, because I never saw such a thing before, and I've seen a LOT of turbo cars in my day(I'm the graphics designer for www.turboforum.net-maybe you should check it out }))... Guess just none that were cast-iron.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LBkHmErPiMp said:
will that manifold bolt up to our FS 2.0?
I believe so...the only concern would be the distributor assembly.

Another thing to note, is that the IHI turbo's use a "triangle" style flange...and due to the nature of the design (casted) they don't have different versions for various applications (t3, t35, etc)

Visit their website and drop them an email...see if they will sell the manifold and/or turbo seperately.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Deviant 6 said:
Hey sweet car man. If you ever buy a new steering wheel I'll buy the factory one off of you :D I want to try and fit it into my 6 :cool:

I heard that it should be able to work. That steering wheel is so classy

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice car man! I'm also from markham, ontario.. I drive a white 1991 626 GT turbo and a 1999 nissan maxima with 17's...

btw do you know any shops that can custom make manifolds in our area or near by?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mazda_Speedstar said:
Nice car man! I'm also from markham, ontario.. I drive a white 1991 626 GT turbo and a 1999 nissan maxima with 17's...

btw do you know any shops that can custom make manifolds in our area or near by?
http://www.essentialspeed.com/products.html

this company is based out of cambridge..

they have done 3 turbo kits for a few members in the TOProtege.com club and they do a great job. I am postive that he could create an exhaust manifold for you.

See you around markham....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts