Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i got a 93 mx6 ls and i have two 15" woofers, there only about 7 inch deep, does anyone have any dimensions at all of what could possibly fit into the little trunk of this car, ive had one 15 in there for about a year, thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
605 Posts
stay w/ the single 15
you shouldnt need more if its wired, boxed and powered correctly

i had only a single 15 in my car and it bumped the shizzle out of it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the single 15 isn't enough anymore, and it wired properly, i just want to build a rocking bass sterio, im used to my trans am with my comp 12's and the 15 just sucks compared to them, anyone got any dimensions, i don't need to know about ft3 enclosure stuff, i just need to know what will fit in the trunk

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Give me the dimensions to your trunk, and what make & model of subs they are and I'll figure something out.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
comon graham...don't you own...o ya nevermind lol

i had 2 15's in my trunk back in the day. 2 HX2 rockfords (600rms each) powered by the 851.s power series amp wired to 2 ohms....I had only 2.25 cubic ft for each sub. it was ok but there was no room for a proper ported enclosure.

i bought the 15's specifically because they were good for smaller sealed enclosures....do some reading on your subs and how to build an enclosure that will bring the most out of the sub

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^ Yeah I have the software to put those specs into play, towards coming up with the best possible box for them.
Its been 3 years since I've last had a '6. I dont remember the dimensions anymore.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok im in school, im a senior, (i know little kid right) and im building the box in woodshop, i have a program put out by rockford to figure out box sizes, i measured the car and its going to be a pain to fit them, i have a single 15 in a box right now tuned to 2.53 cbft which i hope to get around 2.2 for these two subs, the subs arnt a great brand from what ive heard of there atomic loudspeakers which i guess were crap in the 90's but they were the right price when i got them last week, i just measured the car and it looks like i have about 41 inch on the width in the trunk, 15 deep and 15 tall, i know im going to have to put subs at an angle but im going to do some of the math and figure out what i have to do today, already had a great school morning, had to stand out in the snow with a homemade slimjim, im looking making a box thats around 36 inch wide and 14 deep and 15 tall, dont have an angle yet, i was just looking to see if someone knew some good dimensions to fit in this tiny trunk, i dont want to build the box and then not have it fit properly, thanks again everyone

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
I don't know if they still make them, but look into AVS subwoofers. These subwoofers need some of the smallest enclosures (sealed) on the market. At least they did back in the day. Their 10's only required about 1 cubic foot of space.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
hmm... can you take a pic of the subs, or tell me the model number? I can work with those dimensions. yeah the subs will have to the mounted at an angle.
Actually come to think of it, this is a second gen, so its not so much the space you POTENTIALLY have, its getting them into the trunk, through the small trunk opening. What you may have to do is make two separate boxes that are quite skinny in width, and slide each one in through the rear seat opening. Back when I had my 2nd gen, I had a single 15" in the trunk. It was quite hard to get that to fit as the sub would basically lay on its back, facing the rear deck almost. That was the only way we could get the 3 ft3 box to slide in through the opening.
With two 15" 's? I dont know. Its a tough fit as even the hole THROUGH the rear seats is limited. I think you may have to rethink your set up.

Like I say, one 15" should be plenty, what kind of subs and amp are you running, if ONE isn't enough that tells me you may have them setup in such a way that they're not used to their full potential.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k i built a box, its only 1.22 cbft per sub but it kicks alot better than before, im starting to think that the older box i had was build way outa the specs for my fosgate, the sub serial number was hpw1599

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I usually use ebay to search for box size/dimension advice. there are a lot of different size/shape boxes on there. q logic also make a bunch of basic sizes too. 1.22 q/ft should work it well.

a single 15" sub with good specs (500/1000+) will rock a 2g mx6 if amp'd properly. good mdf board 1/2"-3/4" thick will hit hard but is very heavy.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
^3/4" is the norm, all boxes should be made of 3/4" unless heavily braced. 1/2 is quite thin, and will flex a lot which is very bad in general.

Well "Stompjrkz400" I did a quick google search for your sub, and came up with very limited results. If you want you can email the tech department at RF and ask for what are called the "Theile and Small parimeters". With those I can input those technical specs in my program and find the best box for your sub(s)... but as of now they're too old to have any remaining info on them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the box done, hits great, not complaints, thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts