Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #361 ·
While tackling with the exhaust manifold design, I took a short break for something less inolved; I purchased the shifter assembly for the diesel box, and the knob which came along was pretty gnarly and horrible; being a six years old shifter knob for a diesel car it was pretty badly worn (due to various fiscal reasons, diesel engine break-even point vs spark engine is at about 40 000 kms per year) and not too attractive black leather in the first place. So I spiced it up a bit with some leather I bought from an upholstery material store:

Not the most urgent issue I know, but a fun break to relax a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #362 ·
My drive shafts arrived, here's some comparo shots with the originals:

The half shafts doesn't appear TOO different, but the intermediate shaft is just ridiculous. Original G-type intermediate shaft is 24mm in diameter, the new is 37. The new shaft is much longer while half shafts are about the same length as the original, so I guess I need to make shorter half shafts to match the track width.

It looks as if the other shaft was much closer to the camera, but that's pretty much the actual difference in size. The spline in the new intermediate shaft is stupid huge.

The half shaft end is considerably beefier too. The spline diameter is 32mm on the new shaft, where in the original it was 26mm. The splined part is longer too.

Rather surprisingly, the splined part in the old shaft was longer than in A26. The increased diameter will surely more than compensate, of course.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The intermediate shaft fit perfectly onto the block, I had to make custom shafts for both sides, Karri just watch out for the intermediate cv, I broke 2 of them already.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
Wow, really. My thread with last post from 2014 still on the first page. The FE DOHC scene must be properly dead.

Anyway, here's a quick look back: My fixed-term employment wasn't renewed after July 2015; the international events made a huge dent in the business' economy and they let a bunch of people go. I could keep my projects, but I had no money and little time for them; my time was mostly spent building a summer cabin with my old folks, which ensured I didn't need to sell any of my stuff but didn't get to work on them either. I saw no point nor had the energy sharing thoughts and plans I couldn't possibly materialize in the foreseeable future.

Last fall the cabin was finished, and in May 2017, my internship at Valmet Automotive will conclude in steady employment. I consider it somewhat ironic I was kept on unemployment benefit pay for four weeks to learn to assemble cars, yeah... But anyway, the job will be steady and not precarious fixed-period BS.

Hopefully I'm able to resume my projects soon and get them running in not too distant future. I've used almost ten years of my life on them already, I don't wish them to become actual forever projects.

·
Registered
672 Posts
glad to hear things are sorting themselves out.
i dont think many people in general use this forum anymore. facebook fairly well killed off automotive forums.
either way im still subscribed!!

361 - 366 of 366 Posts