Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New member here! I just joined today because of my daughter.
My daughter bought her first car, a 1999 Mazda 626 2.5L with 130k miles. It had good maintenance records and an inspection sign-off from our mechanic.
The problem is the thermostat went out and my daughter drove it to the house until it overheated. It turns out she then decided to tell me "it had done that once before". I educated her on driving cars with no coolant but, crossing my fingers, I replaced the thermostat but now only a few weeks later, on a 200 mile drive to visit her boyfriend, she had to pull over on the side of the road because I believe, the head gasket is blown. The car won’t start.
I’m going to take the heads off but the first problem is the damn coil-over plug wires are melted into the plug tubes. What fun I’m going to have. I got a couple of the plugs out and measured compression. 50PSI on one, and 80PSI on the other. Ouch.
So I'm looking for a manual or some direction on pulling the head on this vehicle to replace the head gasket. Specifically, the positioning of the cams would be super helpful. I've done a lot of my own work on cars but this is the first time I've dealt with a DOHC.

Thanks for any help!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts