Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two recent odd things happening:

The belt that runs the alternator and ac keeps getting the inside rubbed against something, eventually tearing off the inside of it. I don't see anything touching the inside of the belt to rub against it. Only idea is maybe when the ac is turned on, the magnet or movement of the ac pulley starting to operate the ac compressor is somehow rubbing against it ? I have gone through 3 belts in the last 6 months.

Driving along one day, the temp gauge started going up some. Opened up the hood, there was some coolant leaking around the big radiator hoses. Got underneath, and what I saw was a piece of the alternator belt from the inside of it had been completely sawed off.....still a completely intact round piece that had been sawed off, about 1/4" wide. The other part of the belt was still on the pulleys and working fine. This loose piece has somehow managed to get completely off the pulleys, and was dangling, maybe even part of it got close to the cooling fans.

I removed that belt section, poured in about a gallon of coolant, looked at everything for leaks. No leaks at all. Drove around that day, no leaks. 2 days later went on a 300 mile drive, no leaks. Could that belt piece have gotten close enough to the cooling fans to prevent them from turning...then causing temp increase....then causing a coolant leak ?

The belt that runs the alternator and ac works fine, but it is no longer as wide as the pulleys. I have it moved over as far as possible to the outside slots on the pulleys.

Any ideas for these 2 odd happenings ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More likely candidate for the belt problem is the device area that holds the alternator bolt. I probably turned in the tightening bolt a little too far. It is adjustable, so I loosened it up a few turns, now the belt pulleys look more in alignment. Don't know what to say about the leaking coolant issue that went away.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Yeah sounds like you have a pulley issue and the water pump wasn’t spinning correctly. Take of the belts and see if any of the pulleys are sticking or are completely locked up. Power steering pumps and a/c pumps like to lock up all the time. As far as the coolant leak goes it might of boiled out dues to the coolant system being over pressured due to the water pump not acting correctly.... I’d look for a stuck pulley that’s causing your belt issue

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a lot better now that the alternator pulley is more in line with the other pulleys on that belt....ac and crankshaft and belt tightener. For the water leak, I am pretty sure that loose piece of belt starting hitting one of the 2 small hoses on the oil filter cooler, causing it to spray some coolant out. So odd that an entire intact piece of belt about 1/4" wide could get shaved off the whole belt, and migrate elsewhere underneath the car.

But all sorts of odd stuff can end up underneath your car. One time I looked, and there was an intake manifold gasket sticking out....somewhere that got picked up off the highway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts