Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this possible?

Basically, I would like to bring the car up in the 200hp + range, but dont really want to go the turbo / supercharger route. I have a machine shop at my disposal (my dad picked the right business to start :) ), and an ok budget (over time) of about 2000$ - 3000$ cdn over about 8 months.

I am already installing an air inject system & K&N filter, and rumour has it that will bump by 6 -8 hp. My understanding is that a stock mx6 (94) 2.5L dynos at about 160 horses, so im looking for a gain of about 40. NOS would be great on the track, but I and thinking more for day to day driving (which Is why im staying away from Supercharging, well that and gas prices here in Canada 40+$ to fill the tank with premium hurts). And due to the fact there isnt a premade (widely manufactured) aftermarket turbo kit for these cars, turboing doesnt seem very cost effective.

However, I am really missing the stealth factor of my old Rx7, and having mustangs able to beat me off the line, is hard on the system :) So, I need to bring my mazda on par with my old series two rx7, to satisfy my ego :) One last thing, I do want the enhancement to be stealth again.. would like the car to remain looking and sounding rather like a stock mx 6 :)

The stats:
1994 Mazda Mx6 LS
2.5L

Any advice would be great :)

BTW, sorry for the glut of posts lately, I just discovered this wonderful place :)

cheers,
Serapth

·
Registered
543 Posts
actually, our cars have 164 hp at the crank and about 136 at the wheels. Because your intake will be sucking in hot air, you will be loosing about 1-6 hp. I would recomend either
1- buy or make a hot shot type filter that will place your filter in a cold location(see my web link on my sig for directions on how I made my own ) or

2- buy a rpm intake that will completely cover your intake from sucking in hot air. Either method will give you about 4-6 hp.

As for the cheapest and easiest way to get 199 hp at tje crank naturally aspired is to buy the japanese versions of our motors that come with
1- cams
2- higher flowing intake manifold with bigger vris plates
3- boosted comp rate

I am sure I am missing a few more items. I bought my motor for $1400 shipped from www.usedengines.com

I Hope this helps

·
Registered
281 Posts
Okay... well 200whp is very hard to do 200chp is more reasonable. Two things that give a nice increase are doing a port and polish of the intake manifold and getting aggressive cams (interprep makes some nice ones).

if you find a good used Japanese engine, that can automatically give you as much as 170whp (with a Japanese ECU), so its a lot easier to reach your goal with it!

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
dude

Allistair at interprep tuning could do it up no problem,,,

A nice aggressive racing cam job from interprep and the japenese intake manifold will get you over the 200hp mark...and probably cost in and around your price range... that and a bunch of bolt ons and you are done!!

www.interpreptuning.com

cheers

·
Registered
362 Posts
New name, old product. The same thing has been available for a while under the names "tornado" or "hiclone". I can't speak for other engines, but in the Kl-03 it has been shown to cause an average 1 hp DROP in power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts