Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my fiance and I were just cruisin' around. Ended up in a pretty raunchy part of town, when I notice a really nice 4 door 2000 or so Pontiac Grand Am GT.

Anyway, we end up side by side at a red light, I think he noticed that I wanted to race, but viewed me as an easy kill. So we took off, basically nose and nose, then I started pulling, I heard him using that V6 for all it had!! I still pulled away, I got about a carlength on him, and then let off (around 70mph) for a red light (dam red lights). My Fiance was all like "He wasn't racing you, that V6 will whoop your a$$". She just hates to see me win a race with car with a larger motor.

She thinks a Mercury Cougar (the new little ones with the V6) will stomp a mud hole in my A$$!! I hope she is with me when I get to find out--has anyone raced one of those little Cougar V6s?

G

·
sweet kill, our 0-60 times are a tad better than those GAGT's. And yes, we are faster than the Cougers, actually the GAGT's are faster than the Cougers.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Good kill, those new GAGT's aren't too shabby. 170 hp, and close to 200 lb/ft of torque if I remember right. They have functional ram air. Well, actually, more like functional cold air, but... You'll stomp a Cougar.

·
Registered
416 Posts
a kid i know has a cougar, and they're probably not as fast as your GT, but they're not THAT bad, in fact, they even sport the same engine we have (2.5 v6) with an intake upgrade that enables it to produce 170. but they have different gearing and are heavier i think.....R&T had them doin low 16's.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Me and Jiffy have the 1st gen GT's, 2.2 turbo. They're faster than the second gen, of course that's arguable, but...

·
Registered
734 Posts
YES!! finally someone besides me likes to show Grand Am owners that if they want to win races they at least have to have a Prix GT... if not a firebird ram air... I had a total retard try to mess with me.. he was in a Grad Am SE... go figure.. I was driving the GTP... Just laughed hit the gas just a little bit (from the start) to pull away HARd then I let him blow by me... I knew I was faster so I didn't have anything to prove. Next time you race a Grand Am... remember a thread I posted a while back.. turn your radio up and air conditioner one and then take him... (in my tbird) PLEASE EVERYONE help me make people realize that if they don't have a fast car (Civic, Grand Am) not to try and be sooo aggressive with them...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, one night I got into a race with a really clean Grand Prix (probably around a 2000 also), he barely beat me, I've always been told that the Grand Prix is faster than The Grand AM (GT vs GT), I guess that was proof.

It seems like my little 89 is finally starting to "wake up" and get a little frisky. I think I had to "clean" her out a little (woman driver owned it before me).

I just can't wait to start pushing more Psi!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I bet if you were in higher altitude you probably coulda taken the Prix.. because you have forced induction...

·
Registered
666 Posts
Oh god, I love the GTP's, I test drove two of them, but, ended up I couldn't make the payments. :(
Oh well, turns out I could afford my GT, and I love it too, so... :)

·
Registered
734 Posts
I miss having a stick shift though... and I also like the fact that most people don't know what a 6 is... its a LOT rarer than a PGT or a GTP

·
Registered
332 Posts
I thought the Gran Prix GTP was supercharged. Would'nt that make it forced induction?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Rbodeman said:
I thought the Gran Prix GTP was supercharged. Would'nt that make it forced induction?
Yes... a supercharger is basically a turbo... but driven by a belt. I was in my Thunderbird in high altitude and took the Am with all my accessories even AC on

·
Registered
332 Posts
Cool
Good for you.
I hate the Grand Ams
I once saw a fool in a 2000 or so Grand Am try to race my buddy in his 1999 Viper.

FOOL.

·
Registered
416 Posts
rbhode man, what model does your friend have? i drove a 97/98 vipet Shelby racing edition, and even though it isnt the fastest car i've driven, i've never been more scared in my life! those things are vicious!! my dad's friend owns the car and he let me drive it to an industrial park so i could open her up. i only got on it a few times, but every time it was a fight to keep that bitch from spinning! the torque on those babies are incredible!! if your boy has learned to handle that thing, then i give him utmost respect!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Its a 1999 Silver RT10. In my opinion, he has a long way to go before he can drive the thing to its full potential. But to his credit, it is the first manual car he has ever owned.

Yes, I love to go fast but this car scares the heck out of me also. When the top is off and you are moving at full tilt, all you hear is the WIND.

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is one MIGHTY Viper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you imagine the Gs in that thing?

G

·
I have a 99 couger v6 and a 94 mx-6 ls both stock with 5spd and they are about equal, those pretty much boil down to the driver.

G

·
booooo.....they arent that quick!!!!! i got a ticket the other night....we were goin 130 and he was way behind me...

wasnt worht the ticket :eek:(

btw....he didnt do too bad off the start....no long run whatsoever tho

1 - 20 of 32 Posts