Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
This morning (5/15) on my way to classes I was traveling North on Interstate 91 in Massachusetts. I was kinda in a rush to get to my 8am class. When I got on the highway, I noticed this black beetle with some stickers and a real big ugly spoiler. At that point that is all I saw. I didn't let him pass me but didn't make it terribly obvious. I stayed ahead of him in traffic for about 3 miles and was probably even as far ahead as 1/4 mile. By the way, we weren't racing, just traveling with traffic at that time. All of a sudden I see the some cars behind me switch lanes and I see him coming up rather quickly. I slowly speed up in 5th to around 80 in a 55 and he switches 2 lanes (5 lanes at this point) to pass other traffic, so I keep it in 5th and get on it alittle more. I got as close as probably 6 car lengths. He obviously sees me coming up a little bit on him and gets on it. He took the lane all the way to the right (3 lanes now) and takes a sweet whole in between 2 cars. By that time the whole closed and I had to wait for these cars to move. One finally speeds up and I take 4th. By now he's a ways ahead of me so I speed up to around 100 and start to catch him because he ran into slower traffic. I finally catch him and we stay around 75-80 because of traffic. I let him stay ahead of me the whole time. We come to about a mile before my exit and he's about 4-5 cars ahead of me and all of a sudden boom, he gets on it and makes a real good turn to slide between a semi and a mini-van. I was all the way in the right lane and I'm sorry but no one shows me up. I downshift to 4th and speed up and with the mini-van ahead of me, the semi to my left and a car to his left so I had no choice but to take the breakdown lane at 95-100. I take 4th to 110 and put it in 5th, I was definately making up ground on him. I take it to 120 and by that time I cut his at one time, 12 cars or so lead (because he got by the semi and the mini-van b4 I even downshifted) down to about 4 cars. At that time I had to hit my brakes, switch and 2 lanes to get off the exit! I was very pleased that I was able to pull on a Turbo Beetle, I've heard they are fast and this is my first encounter with one. Oh by the way, he also had coffee-can exhaust which i couldn't see til he was in front of me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Beetle

MAn do not worry those beetle's are not that fast. THey are the same as like the 1.8T jetta which does 0-60 manual in like 7.8 and 16.1. BUt still glad u showed him up

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
If I ever find myself doing 120mph in the breakdown lane with lots of traffic I would have to check into the nearest insane asylum. Your story had me on the edge of my seat though. I wish you were able to pull off a 1 on 1 race with him. You would have smoked him and I hate new beetles. After all that effort to catch him too. Are classes really so important that you couldn't skip the exit and line it up? Kidding -- yes they certainly are! You must have been good and early for them too.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Not too bad of a story. I won't do stuff like what you did--but I did a few years ago. I used to do all kinds of crazy sh!t, crazier than that, so I can't lecture, and won't.

Just realize one thing--Inertia increases with speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
that is some crazy stuff...

Not all beetles are slow though. I read about a beetle in a recent magazine (not sure which one) that was pushing 400hp and it was not to heavily moddified from stock. The good thing about VW's are that they are easily moddifiable just like the hondas. Its just the VW engines have some low end torque and actually can be fast.

and jiffy why aren't u doing anymore of that crazy "shi!t"? Did ya just wise up or did something happen?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Rorosucka, hey how's it going man? How you liking your new 6?

I guess you could call it wising up. I guess I never realized exactly how dangerous that kind of stuff is, or never realized I was putting others at risk so much.

I've also grown really attached to both arms, both legs, and various other instruments of my body ;)--I used to have a Motorcycle, read in the lounge about Cop Stories. There are some good stories in there.

No offense, but where did you hear about a VW with a 1.8L pushing 400Hp? And not be SERIOUSLY modified. It is possible, but a few minor mods ain't going to move them to the 400hp range. And yes, I know it has turbo, stock, the car has 150hp. It's a long steep hill to 400hp.

Seriously though, to make a 1.8L have 400hp would take some work. Even to make my 2.2L to have 400Hp would take some serious work.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hold the phone Mabel....

I've always wanted to say that.
RORO is refering to the article in the current issue of Motor Trend. It is a 500hp twin turbo v6 beetle that is completley made out of VW oem parts. It does 0-60 in a mind blowing 4.25 seconds and only costs 65,000. Its made by a company called HPA Motorsports and can be serviced at an VW dealership because it is completley made out of vw oem parts. The article says that this twinturbo v6 drop can be made on any current model beetle, jeta, golf, or audi TT. Plus this beetle has all wheel drive. This is just insane!!!

Wow RORO for once u are actually not causing sheer chaos. I guess our little fist to face chat did some good.hehehe

·
Registered
446 Posts
Gee, wow. (sarcastic) 65K in mods to create a fast VW. On an Audi TT, the thing would cost $100,000 by the time everything was done. $100,000 and all you'd have is a pretty fast car that looks like any other Audi on the road. I'm all for modifications, but that's stupid.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Twin Turbo V6....now that is a serious mod. Is All Wheel Drive a factory option?

I'm not being a smart a$$.

·
Registered
475 Posts
its not 65,000 worth of mods. its 65,000. Finished product. Thats how much this supped up beetle costs. And figure its pushing numbers of Ferrari's and other MUCH more expensive cars. YOu want cheap speed? this is it. I just thought it was pretty cool.
And the twinturbo v6 is simply built from vw's v6 engine and their own turbo's. The fact that this type of hp is produced from all oem parts is pretty amazing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
im not quite sure. But i figure this is 20,000 beetle that is now 65,000 so thats 45,000 extra. So add that 45k onto the base price of a TT quatro and u should geta rough idea.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
That would be a pretty cool bug to own. And OEM parts is impressive. Even the Twin Turbo is OEM?

0-60 in 4.25 seconds--whoooaaaa.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Original Point

My original points was that the one u "raced" was frickin slow. That is all i was saying

1 - 17 of 17 Posts