Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 MX6. I think the fuel pump quit on it, it just sat here for months. I want to know what to do with it. Should I fix it up or sell it?
It was mechanically sound until the fuel issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just put an inline fuel pump in it and drive it... the external pump should be able to suck fuel through the dead one in the tank...

·
Super Moderator
2,149 Posts
Just put an inline fuel pump in it and drive it... the external pump should be able to suck fuel through the dead one in the tank...
Please pay attention to the dates of the posts you're replying to. This thread is 11 years old. Odds are the car is long gone.

Also an inline pump will not fix the problem. It's simply a band-aid... if it would even work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please pay attention to the dates of the posts you're replying to. This thread is 11 years old. Odds are the car is long gone.

Also an inline pump will not fix the problem. It's simply a band-aid... if it would even work.
The thread was posted on June 3rd, 2020. So why would an inline pump not fix the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I noticed you are called a Supermoderator. You would think a Super anything would notice the post date is current.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks T.... the only reason I can think of for an inline pump added to do the job of a dead in tank pump, whilst leaving the dead pump in the tank.... is if the in tank pump has sucked in some of the strainer, or the strainer is full of gunk... so the inline pump will starve anyway.

If the strainer is fine, the in tank pump just died from running on less than 1/4 tank all the time, an inline pump should suck fuel thru the in tank pump ok unless it is actually blocked.

It is a shame that Mazda decided to fit our cars with an in tank unit, then not give an access to it without having to drop the tank... they could easily have used an inline pump

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was cranking this car each time the grass needed mowed. Not driving it, just cranking it, moving it around in my yard. I would let it run until the engine warmed up. I think the fuel pump just froze up.

·
Super Moderator
2,149 Posts
Fair point! I'm still not used to this new formating. I saw your join date. My apologies for being wrong. Carry on!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why wouldn't you want to fix it? If it's just the fuel pump, you could swap in a new one in a day. I have a 95 PGT with the same issue and fixing it isn't even a question. I'm only debating fixing it myself or taking it to a shop.

I think these cars are great and emissions and safety standards will make it impossible to ever make another car like these again.

If you decide not to fix it, and want to part out your car, please let me know. There are a bunch of spare parts I would like.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the pump not accessible through the back seats? I know I changed mine on 1st gens by taking back seat out and it was right there...maybe? I would need research but suggestion. Also where are u located if wanting to sell? I can't find any good probes or mx6 in Texas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts