Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting some rims and tires and i found a good deal on some but they are 215/45/17 which is a bit bigger then stock meaning i'll be going slightly faster then my speedo. Just wondering if anyone else has run this size and if there are any other problems from it like do they still fit well on a lowered car and does it effect your acceleration? thanks for any help

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
They will fit fine. Acceleration and braking are hampered a bit. Handling is much better than stock though. Find out how much the tire/wheel combo weighs. Stockers are around 40 pounds (tire and wheel).

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
i have that size and lowered on ksport coilovers.
the size looks good on the car, fills up the wheel wells nicely. doesn't rub.

Reactions: Elmer_Fudd

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
The optimum tire size for 17s for an MX6 is 215/40/17, as the difference in the speedometer is only a 0.42% difference.

The 215/45/17 has a 3.01% difference for the speedometer, so the speedometer will show 3.01% slower than what you'll really be travelling at, but this is pretty still considered within the acceptable range of 3%

·
Registered
954 Posts
i have 215/45/17 with eibachs and i have no rubbing issues at all. I used to have a 40 sidewall but i like how the 45s fill the wheel gap a little more. I have to disagree that they handle better though since my old tires (both sets were/are falken 512s) had a slightly better turn-in than the 45s i have now.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I run 215/45R17's they are as close as i could get to stock and it made my speedo more accurate

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
215/45 is a good size to run. Much cheaper for tyres than 215/40 since wrx's, evo, etc run 215/45 stock.

no cars (that I can easily think of) run 215/40 stock so they are more expensive usually.

oh wait - new mini cooper does...., but meh.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
My MSP rims came with 215/45/17, they work great on the RS on stock suspension, still have some wheel gap but doesn't look like a 4x4.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys, yeah the rims i was getting were 16.5 lb SSR but the finish was bubbling in a couple of spots so i'll keep looking. i think i'll still get the 215/45/17 though cause there's more tire options. does the larger diameter still hurt acceleration if the rims are that light?

·
Registered
954 Posts
thanks guys, yeah the rims i was getting were 16.5 lb SSR but the finish was bubbling in a couple of spots so i'll keep looking. i think i'll still get the 215/45/17 though cause there's more tire options. does the larger diameter still hurt acceleration if the rims are that light?
it makes a slight difference since the circumference is larger. On a smaller rim the force also has to travel a much shorter distance from the hub than the larger rim. Its pretty tolerable and with lightweights it shouldnt be too bad.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I wouldnt worry about about the acceleration. The difference is pretty minor.

I've got a set of 16ish lb rims (in sig) with 225/45/17 on them that is only marginally slower than my other set of rims which are 215/40/17 but I'm guessing a heavier rim.

in addition the difference in rim diameter can be used as a cheap diff ratio adjustment if you track the car. If at the drags or wherever else you end up needing to change just before the end, use a taller sidewall. Or if you come out of a corner at say 4000rpm but cant get back a gear for it then a smaller sidewall will mean you can get through it as say 4200, 4300.

so if you track the car there are all sorts of things you can do with tyre sizes!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
weight weight weight is the biggest factor. the 45 series aren't so hard on your butt either over the bumps, lol

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
Meh not really. I mean the 17s are slower than the 15s, but that's because of the overall weight difference. I don't remember any difference between the 40 series and the 45 series.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Meh not really. I mean the 17s are slower than the 15s, but that's because of the overall weight difference.
Not necessarily true...if i remember correctly, the stock 15s weigh 26 lbs each, whereas some aftermarket rims can weigh less, such as Motegi RT5 in 17s weighing only 19lbs each.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts