Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some Kumho 711's online. 225/50/15's, wasnt sure that they would fit but some have done it.

My BBS wheels are 15x6.5 with a 40mm offset. I dont think 225's will fit with anything other than a 40mm offset or lower. I do remember someone or 2 on this site with 225's on the stock wheels. Dont know how??

I'll tell you these tires are SO CLOSE to the rear strut my finger wont fit between it. No rubbing though, even lock to lock up front.

Heres a comparison to my 217/40/17's. My 17's are 42mm offset, thus why nothing wider than 215's will fit in the rear.

I must say these tires added a MEAN look to my car. They do "roll over" the lip a little but its not too bad.:D

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks good ;) how does the car handle with those rubbers?
I dont really know, havent taken a corner hard. I dont have any more traction then I did with my 205's. I still spin all 2nd gear.

You realize that 225/50/15 is not the same for all manufacturers right? And that pretty much all tires are different sizes according to the manufacturer. Just because one makers 225/50/15 fits, doesn't mean brand X's 225/50/15 will.

Nice pictures either way.
Yes I do know that. I guess I just picked a good set.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
I do remember someone or 2 on this site with 225's on the stock wheels. Dont know how??
That would be Manifest, he's been running 225/50/15 for probably over 3 years now on the stock 88-89 GT rims. I forget what kind of tire he had... I'll have to dig up the ancient thread...

EDIT: Found the thread. They were Toyo tires - this post was 4 years ago and I still remembered it somehow!

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9723&highlight=225

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That would be Manifest, he's been running 225/50/15 for probably over 3 years now on the stock 88-89 GT rims. I forget what kind of tire he had... I'll have to dig up the ancient thread...

EDIT: Found the thread. They were Toyo tires - this post was 4 years ago and I still remembered it somehow!

http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthrea...3&highlight=225
Yes, he was one. There is another person. Hes a new guy. Only has them on the front though.

·
Registered
8,579 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
I dont have any more traction then I did with my 205's. I still spin all 2nd gear.
Thats what I dont understand about stretching huge tires onto these rims. Just because they are larger tires doesnt mean you're putting down more rubber.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Taller tires may help with traction...

Where did you find them? I need new shoes for my car in the worst way...

Reactions: mx6GT91

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what I dont understand about stretching huge tires onto these rims. Just because they are larger tires doesnt mean you're putting down more rubber.
I bought them for looks. Im a ricer, look at the rims. :sigh:
Another reason was because the tires I had on the car were not the right size. 205/60/15's are too tall. 55's are suppose to be used with a 205 width. So, if I was buying tires might as well get some nice big ones. So I went 225's.

LOVE that last pic :tup:
Thanks a lot!!!

Taller tires may help with traction...

Where did you find them? I need new shoes for my car in the worst way...
Tirerack.com, got these for $245 shipped. Got them in 3 days also:)

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
205/60/15's are too tall. 55's are suppose to be used with a 205 width.
Er..Ray, 205/60/15 is the correct size for the 1st gen. Check the manual, its an option size spec'ed by Mazda.

55s would be short and you would throw off the calibration of the speedo gear, and itll get worse as the tires wear and get smaller in diameter. A shorter tire also has the effect of torque multiplication. Tire compound aside, thats part of why you are still spinning those 225/50/15s. They are shorter than the standard size of 205/60/15 by about an inch.

Gavin

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive been running 225/50/15's for quite awhile on my 92, this isnt anything new, on my 89 i have 225/50/16's, but had to use a 1/3 spacer on the rear
Seems somewhat new to me. Lots of people ask about tire sizes, either no one knows or they tell you to search and you can find anything.

love the platenumber:cool:
ooh and the rims/tyre combo looks good Ray.
Hahaha. I love the plates too, as do many. Thanks a lot.

Er..Ray, 205/60/15 is the correct size for the 1st gen. Check the manual, its an option size spec'ed by Mazda.

55s would be short and you would throw off the calibration of the speedo gear, and itll get worse as the tires wear and get smaller in diameter. A shorter tire also has the effect of torque multiplication. Tire compound aside, thats part of why you are still spinning those 225/50/15s. They are shorter than the standard size of 205/60/15 by about an inch.

Gavin
My car had 195/60/15's stock. Thats what all the 88-89 GT's have. So, using the tire size calulator 60's would be too tall when going a size wider. 55's would be the closest.

I dont know, I could be wrong?

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
1 - 20 of 45 Posts