1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Feel free to buy the Phantom Grip (PG), but I wouldn't recommend it just yet. The theory is that it acts like a clutch type limited slip differential. It has springs that press the metal blocks of the PG against the spider gears in the differential and basically locks them together. It has some slip to allow for cornering. From what I have read, people with these PG's notice a snapping sound/sensation as the PG lets the spider gears slip in turns. You can actually choose spring strength to adjust (once) for how hard you want the diff to lock up.

A few people have done it, but the results are mixed. In addition, it's not just $240. It's $240 + the cost of removing your transmission + the cost of removing your spider gears + the cost of machining the spider gears flat on one side + the cost of machining the PG a bit since it was designed to fit the CRX perfectly and not the MX6 + the cost of reinstalling the PG/spider gears then the reinstallation if the tranny. Unless you have a friend who owns a machine shop and you R&I the tranny yourself, it's going to cost you $500+ in the end.

I believe StreetthisMX6 had one for a while. He didn't really notice much improvement in 60' times IIRC.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I have one and it is fantastic .. for the money you can’t beet it.. my car handles a lot better particularly reducing torque steer.. It doesn’t light up as easy with out but you can still spin the wheels.. Get it but you will have to machine your gears down a bit to make it fit in.. (it doesn’t just slip in, but perfectly doable)

click me

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i wouldnt expect to see an increase in 60' times. i think the most noticable difference will be in cornering, which im sure Mr. MX6 can vouch for, yeah?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
yea when you boot it on a bend it doesn’t just light up and slide ..
I can still light up one rim from a standing start..

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So lets see if i understand what this PG will do for me.

IF i'm pulling **** out of my car to replace the clutch and flywheel then it may be worth my while to spend $ on grinding my gears to fit it in. This product offers an improvement in:

torque steer
better power mangement through the turn
will help save my tires abit
better trackion control in wet conditions

*edit* The website has lots of great info. I really want this now! I hope other peole that have had this give me some info too. Thanks a ton Mr. MX6

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
you cant really adjust it other than to use different springs.. and if you did want to “adjust” the spring rate . it would be a big job. Best to get it spot-on the first time you install it..
and it is very hard waring .. I run one in my nitrous boosted KLZE I do use redline synthetic oil but I don’t get any problems @ all ..

I'm seeing if I can make some up in Australia .. 600 AU odd bux is a lot of cash.. could probobly send to the us .. but it is still in the planing stages, so not for months yet im thinking..

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
You're 60' time would definately improve on a RWD ... you get a better push. - Not too sure about FWD ... but it should work on the same principle, right?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Omaha95PGT said:
For the people that have the PG already: did you guys also have to grind the PG housing? The install didn't seem that bad. Anything anyone run into when doing this that this guy didn't?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Yip if you (as I did) get the genuine Phantom grip it wont fit in unless you take a bit of the sides as well ..
but if you make one for the 2G using these dimentions

you will only need to machine the gears..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts