Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this was taken from the 1stgen yahoo club. Take a look at these 2 pictures, and you'll see what I mean:

In case you havent noticed. Its the same F'ing kit! If I'm correct that means that most 240sx kits will fit our cars. I wonder if there was any modifications needed to put it on. Does someone here know a lot about body kits?

G

·
Damn, that looks tight! It looks Italian now. Tell that guy to sign up on this forum, and to slap some Intrax on that thing, that wheel gap is hurtin'. That is prob the best looking 1st gen I've seen.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
woah crap!!

That looks awesome...the front bumper looks absolutly awesome. the only change that i see thats needed is the grill needs to be cut off....and maybe the wheelwell needs some trimming... Needs to do something to the rear though..looks like its missing a rear bumper now..those side skirts are awesome too!

·
JDM Conversion
522 Posts
I wonder how difficult it would be to custom fit a body kit like that to a second gen 6. Any other bumpers or body kits that are similar to the second gen mx6 that wouldn't be too difficult or excessively costly to mold on?

G

·

Notice the car is right-hand drive? what does that tell you?......he doesn't live in NorthAmerica.

-2.5MX-6

·
Registered
318 Posts
Re: .......

2.5MX-6 said:
Notice the car is right-hand drive? what does that tell you?......he doesn't live in NorthAmerica.

-2.5MX-6
We know this. I think he is in Austrailia. Regardless the exterior is the same.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
That's interesting...

but I don't think it's the best I've seen. I'm tired of body kits having so many silly vents. It's like they're trying to stick a vent/intake hole anywhere they possibly can and I don't associate that with "cool". It just ends up looking like it was designed by a highschool student. (Most body kit designers are people who wanted to design whole cars but couldn't cut it.)
I admire that guy's bravery to try to fit that kit on there anyways, and I'm glad to see some 1st gen pics - we need more on here. (I'm working on an easy grill mod suggestion which will be up shortly.)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Damn, antiSUV, and all this time I thought I was the only one! :)

The problem I have with most body kits (including the one above) is that:
1. They always have more vent holes than swiss cheese.
2. They bulk up the lower body so much that the car begins to look like a '94 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that ODed on anabolic steroids (The Shogun is an exception; it just plain makes the car absolutely fugly :D).

I'd like to see if someone makes a valence and side skirts that come down a bit more than stock and (in the case of the side skirts) don't taper inwards. And spoilerless, so the driver can actually see something in the rearview mirror. :)

Hmmm... what's your grille suggestion?

[Edited by Apollo-Soyuz 1975 on 11-15-2000 at 12:48 AM]

·
Registered
318 Posts
I hear you guys on the unnecessary vent thing, but the whole reason I think many of us like it, is because its different, if you guys want a body kit without radical styling, go and get one of the existing kits for the 1st Gen MX-6. they are pretty toned down. Another reason we think this is cool, is because it opens up other opportunities for body kits. If this kit fits without too heavy of modification, then maybe others for the 240sx fit.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I was just being critical of that particular kit...not all body kits. I'm exited just like you are about the possibility of fitting other Silvia kits to the 1st gen.
Have to figure out somthing to stick on the back though (maybe some piece for some other car??)

I'd rather modify my car to be better looking than just different. I think too many people get caught up on being different when the actual modification isn't a real improvement. An example are the people who are going out of their way to fit differnt tail and head lights on certain cars. This usually ends up just being "different" and not "better" in my opinion.
It's too bad that there aren't many talented body kit designers; exeptions include AMG and Mazdaspeed becuase they are actually associated with their respective car companies. (Go look at the kit for the '00 Protege on corksport.com ! It's tasteful and cool and made by Mazdaspeed.)

The existing bodykits for the 1st gen are HORRIBLE!!!! They are a bad, bad, bad late 80's idea of what a body kit should be, and were designed by someone who didn't have a clue what the MX-6 designers were trying to do. (In my opinion.) And they are the same as most other body kits for every other car from that era (which proves they were taking the same approach for every car and not going on a case by case basis.) But at least no one made a "testarossa" one like that crap one for the probe!

And actually, I don't really think the 1st gen needs a body kit at all. It looks great the way it is to me (better than a 1st gen Probe (hehe) by far), but I'm gonna think about it for awhile and try to draw something up (I can draw too).

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My grill mod I mentioned earlier...

...is posted in the appearance mods section. Go check it out and tell me what you guys think. thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also agree about the excessive vents. The only thing is that the 2 kits that are available look sooo 80's cheezy that I would never even think about putting them on. I like simple personally. However I do like the big opening for a nice sized intercooler on this kit.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh my god!!! That is the best MX6 I have ever seen, that would be great if we could all maybe get that kit for us, someone needs to get him on this forum so we can talk to him about that car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts