Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a 93 240 with a s13 swap. The car is basically a rocket, how would I fare at 15 psi? The s13 is all stock btw

·
Registered
264 Posts
if im not mistaken, which is rare, i thought the s13 motors were a lil less powerfull than later sr20det motors. there is a difference in the motors, like red top or black top but im not sure what it is. but i remember reading that the s13 oem engines had less power than later versions. like maybe around 210 hp. this info is not garunteed at all, im just tryin to recall.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well he dose have a stage 3 clutch, and he did beat the fastest civic hatch in corpus ( not very many of them round here). The engine has a black valve cover, and is correct my if im wrong more rare that the red top version, none the less the car is inpressive.

·
Eternal College Student
4,645 Posts
somebody who knows what they're talking about

ok, this has always confused me.

why the hell does rwd hook up better, or does it allegedly hook up better than fwd? i mean... if you have all the weight in the front it's not going to break traction as easily. simply physics would say that. right? so what's the discrepency?

·
Registered
642 Posts
when u accelerate forward, there is a weight transfer in the opposite direction, ie: over the rear wheels. thats y the front of a car lifts upon acceleration. thats the discrepancy. if a fwd car stops the weight transfer to the rear, it gets a better take off. this is done by stiffening up the rear suspension and making it higher than the front, and making sure the driveshafts are 90degrees to the centre of the wheel.

·
Registered
180 Posts
simply speaking its easier to push a weight than to pull it because of simple physical law...the motion like black says basically forces the car down on its rear wheels making all the more traction...ie better accerleration

there are other benefits such as the lack of torque steer that most fwd's suffer anywhere over 200hp or so

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
jhend924 said:
simply speaking its easier to push a weight than to pull it because of simple physical law
which one would that be?

as far as I know it requires the same amount of force to get and object to accelerate a certain amount. Regardless if the force is a push or a pull.

but the wieght shifting thing i agree with, i wish i had a 240, its basically the only car that I would consider giving up one of my cars for. (within the same price range I mean)

·
Registered
134 Posts
i used to have a silvia when i lived in japan for a while. s13 spec r. it gets a way better launch than my six (na) or my friends 6 which is also turboed at 15psi. i really think the s13 will win. let us know the result.:D

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
jhend924 said:
simply speaking its easier to push a weight than to pull it because of simple physical law
Are you sure??? What law is that? I think it doesn't matter if you are pushing or pulling the object. I could be wrong, I didn't make it to physics class much and I'm too lazy to haul out my book, but I am curious.

-Bryce

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
some simple research and you have an answer that is better than any of us could give (well maybe with the exception of me ;) but I had this bookmarked... so it was easy for me to post it)

Go Here to the differences.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
aggiedj02 said:
some simple research and you have an answer that is better than any of us could give (well maybe with the exception of me ;) but I had this bookmarked... so it was easy for me to post it)

Go Here to the differences.
Very good link. Not that i didnt already know what they were or anything ;)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Good link, thanks. I still don't see any mention of the fact that it is easier to push something than pull it, I think whoever said that skipped physics even more than me :).

-Bryce

1 - 20 of 29 Posts