Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2g 2.5L Clutch grabs right at the floor... - Solved! Post 10

I recently picked up a 93 LS MTX which was unclear if I was going to part or make a daily for someone. I've decided to make it a daily as it's in good condition for it's age and mileage (mid 130's).

When I received the car, the previous owner said it took about 10 minutes of pumping the pedal to get it in to gear. I figured there was air in the line, but he'd said he replaced the slave and bled it well. This was good news as it was one less part I might have to replace, though I'd rather replace a slave than a master.

After bleeding did not resolve the issue, I picked up a used clutch master from Hughes and installed that today. I used a vacuum bleeder to get the fluid through the clutch master, probably pumping about 8oz through where the last 1-2oz had no bubbles at all.

The clutch still grabs at the floor.

The pedal is at the same adjustment point as my gf's 93 LS which has a smooth engaging clutch.

This clutch is not OEM.

I noticed that it appears the fork which the slave presses against has shifted downward. I looked at a transmission I have sitting in my garage which doesn't have a slave but does have a TOB, and I can't think of a reason why the fork would be low on the one in this particular car. It seems to just pivot top to bottom of the rubber boot it's in without much of an issue.

I'm considering pulling the slave tomorrow to see if I can lift up the fork by hand when there is no slave piston against it.

Suggestions/Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Try messing with the adjuster nuts behind the clutch pedal. Also......the more you drive the car as the clutch breaks in the higher the pedal will engage.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
on my first mx6, which had an aftermarket clutch, caught really low to the ground. my 2nd mx6, with an oem clutch, caught about mid way, but then after scubasteve helped me put the clutchmasters stage II in, it catches like my first mx6, about 1 or 1.5" off the ground. pedal adjustment nut is at it's max. just wondering if this is common with aftermarket clutches. no air in the lines either, i made sure of that

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one grabs at the floor. So much so that it's difficult to get in to gear at times.

The fork sticking out of the transmission has physically shifted down in comparison to the other 2g LS and PGT I have sitting here so that is just not right. Since it's shifted down, it is causing the slave to push further to activate the clutch.

I'm trying to think about what would cause this. I'll have to get a better look at my spare transmission to see how exactly the fork works and how it could possibly be jammed down.

The clutch is over 8k miles old now. The previous owner bought it when it had already been done and he drove it those 8k miles this way.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just pulled the fork out of one of my spare transmissions.

There is a retaining spring which would seem to keep the fork fairly centered, though not impossible to move up and down with little pressure.

My theory is that when the previous clutch installer changed the TOB, they accidentally popped the fork spring off the ball it's suppose to be clipped to. When they pushed the new TOB on, the spring fell to the top which caused the fork to get pushed down.

Theory good news: Possibly no clutch damage.
Theory bad news: Need to pull the transmission to re-place the spring clip.
Theory more good news: If the spring clip is fubar'd, I have a spare to replace it with.
Theory more bad news: Need to pull the transmission.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
when my KLZE first went onto my car with a new ACT clutch, my mechanics got me to test drive the car, the clutch grabbed right off the floor. i told them that, and they bled it some more and it fixed the problem.

u need to gravity bleed it. but i suppose u already knew that

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I vacuum bled both the slave and master. I personally changed the master yesterday. The slave was changed prior to my ownership.

The clutch grab hasn't changed from either the master or slave.

The piston moves the same amount (measured with a tape measure) as my other two 2.5L V6's in the driveway, so the amount of movement is not the issue.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
yup, sounds like dropping the tranny time. you got a stainless steel clutch line? just wondering if that might help at all. you probably do already, just throwing it out there. if it's not the fork, then it'd be your pressure plate. when i did my ZE swap, initially had an ACT clutch to put in and it was screwed up. wouldn't go into gear at all. it was almost like someone had taken a pressure plate from a different car, sealed it in the correct packaging and slapped the wrong part number on it

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been dropping the clutch this evening. Nothing major to report aside from when the slave was detached, the fork flops around (bottom to top) and doesn't settle in the middle.

That pretty much finalizes that either the spring is gone/broken or the nub it goes around is missing/broken. I'll post back tomorrow evening when I have it down, can't finish it tonight.

And no, there's no SS line. This isn't my car, it's just one I picked up recently. Heck, it's even got stock down pipes. :tdown:

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Issue solved!

Got the transmission down this evening to discover the little ball which the spring should go around had snapped off. The round part was actually still floating around the bell housing.

I'm going to pull the clutch apart to make sure it's still in alright shape from all the slipping anyone who's driven it like this has been putting it through. Hopefully the synchros are still in good shape.

Anyone know what brand clutch has a yellow pressure plate?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to put the transmission back up now that the axle seals were in at the dealer.

I feel like such a n00b. 2 hours of struggling and it just wouldn't slide in all the way. I think I'm hanging up on the pilot bearing even though I used an alignment tool.

Oh well, back at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just put my new clutch in with the motor out. It was hard enough getting the tranny to slide into place like that. Still inside the car would be way harder.

Took some rotating it a few degrees back and forth before I could finally align the splines and teeth so it would slip in.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the transmission up this evening. No real issues, went up pretty smooth. Yesterday must have just been a fluke.

What's now odd, and makes me think this car has something personally against me, the intermediate shaft isn't going in... which makes no sense at all since it has no C Clip. These cars make me want to just rage sometimes.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finished this up tonight. Took a file to the intermediate shaft just to clean things up some. There was some evidence of hammer marks on the diff side which makes no sense to me.

Anyway, clutch is usable again. Still grabs a little too close to the floor for my taste, but no issues getting in to 1st or reverse with the clutch in while cold.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I went to put the transmission back up now that the axle seals were in at the dealer.

I feel like such a n00b. 2 hours of struggling and it just wouldn't slide in all the way. I think I'm hanging up on the pilot bearing even though I used an alignment tool.

Oh well, back at it tomorrow.
When i did my accord years ago it took 3-4 hours one day and then another 45 minutes the next day.

Clutch was aligned, i turned it a few degrees, wobbled it all sorts of ways.....

Just like a newly divorced couple that tranny had no desire to mate up to the engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts