Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Ive done some searching (both on here and cardomain) and I havn't really had much luck.. I'm planning on getting a new amp and subs.. probably 2 10"s.. maybe 12"s. I will be building my own box out of mdf. I dont plan on taking up my whole trunk.. does anyone have any pictures of a decent set up?

Does it make a big diff which way the subs are pointing (towards the back seat as opposed to the rear of the trunk)

Thanks in advance
Brian

ps.. I was kind of thinking to have the subs mounted a few inches back in the box, and having a piece of plexiglass in front of them.. this would look cool with a neon, but is it a dumb idea??

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Brian3 said:

ps.. I was kind of thinking to have the subs mounted a few inches back in the box, and having a piece of plexiglass in front of them.. this would look cool with a neon, but is it a dumb idea??
will the plexiglass act as a grill,,, if not then i wouldnt do it,,,

but the reason some ppl mount the su pointing to the rear of the car is because of "timeing".... this will allow your subs to play in time with your mids,, to give you that upfrnont bass,,, but if you have time alignment then you wont have to worry about it and also a steep xover seting,, something equal to or greater than 24db/oct,,,

i plan to mount my sub behind the seat,, but it will be mounted IB,,(free air),,,,,,,, i wanted to munt it on the rear deck,, but my sub is too big for that..

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Unless you plan on going to great lengths to seal the front of the car from the rear, it is generally accepted that firing the subs backwards yeilds the best results.

As for woofers and amps - what's your budget, and what kinda bass are you after? Box recomendations will depend on sub selection, too. ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for the input so far! as for subs and amp.. I work at a place that, in a round about way, is able to get car audio (although we dont sell it) long story short, i get a good deal.. As of right now im looking at 2 10" or 12" Kicker CompVr's.. the amp will also be Kicker. Cerwin Vega was also on the list of posibilities, providing the price is right, would Cerwin Vega be a better choice for subs? ( I really like the look of the new Vmax series)

Thanks again for the help,
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts