Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on installing a 6.5 component set in the doors of my '96 MX6 and would really appreciate any advice or tips for proper fitment anyone might have.

I'm planning on making a MDF baffle for the woofer to go in the 6x8 hole and surface mount the tweeter as close as I can to that on the door panel.

My concerns are:
Will any cutting of the metal door frame will be required?

Despite many searches, I have yet been able to find the standard mounting depth for the 2nd gen doors.
The depth of the Elemental Designs Mids I'm looking at is 2.8 Inches, mount diameter 5.75, overall front diameter 6.75.

Are the oem plastic speaker grills removeable from the inside?

I'd say that I'm capable of some intermediate level work. That being said, do you think I'm setting myself up for a bunch of headaches and frustration with this install?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
why not just get some infinity componet speakers?? i am running their component set up and it fits fine with no modifications and i just used a dremel to open up the whole of the stock tweeters and then just mount them there with krazy glue, and they are tight and wont come off....did i mention they sound really good??? i am also running 5x7 infinity kappas in the back.....i know a 6.5 setup will probably sound a lil better but is it worth the extra work??? also if you install the tweeters and make a hole on the door panel to mount them into, you might want to reconsider because when its raining....water is very vunerable...so just mount them in the stock tweeter hole up and front and when its hot....put your sun visor out so the heat wont damage them....

·
Registered
790 Posts
mounting 6.5" are easy....when i did mine they came with a little plastic ring i just supper glued onto the stock mounts and then mounted the speakers to that. if yours dont come with that i would just find something sturdy like aluminum or sturdy plastic, its real easy and you will understand better once you get the door panel off and hold the new speakers in the old spot.
as for depth you have lots so dont even worry about that. as far as mounting the tweeters goes i would not mount them near the speakers do to the way the high frequency tones propogate its best to have them up higher.
what i did and i know others have done is mount them on the little black plastic thing in the corner of the door on the hinge side (by the mirrors) that spots gives good sound quality and they blend in really well
mounting the tweeters in the stock location would be ok too but good luck running those wires and finding a removable way to mount them

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

That's just what I hoped to hear.
I'm actually going for a DIY set of components. This system is going to be a huge step up in SQ.

Again, I appreciate the help, cheers!!

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I could never get 6.5's in my MX6 properly. Always hit something or rubbed. I put 5 1/4" MB Quarts in my doors in custom pods. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't suggest using MDF as a mounting plate. MDF in the doors gets water logged eventually. What you should do is find a local plastics shop (yellow pages) that has sheets of ABS plastic and buy a large piece from them to use for baffles. If you can get a 1/4" thick piece, that should work well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I was considering using ABS. Parts Express has 1/8" sheets for sale:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-948

I thought about cutting 3 or 4 layers of this at once, building it up to the right height, then epoxying it all together.
But since MDF is the best material for sound quality, I thought l could use some kind of outdoor waterproofing wood sealant on it. Also wrapping it in some dynamat would be help also, plus it would stop any rattles from my lousy woodworking.

What do you use to cut that ABS plastic? Dremel, jigsaw?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Chaous - I have some 6.5 kappa's as well that im currently puttin in and they came with a few different brackets as well that they fit in too. so if i just super glue all the way around and apply the brackets to that it wont make be a problem? noise? and will it last?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I have 6.5's in the door. I just used an adapter plate and whatever adapters that came with my speakers. I used thin foam tape between the plates to remove any rattling. The only thing I had to really do was shave off part of speaker grills because the speakers would slightly hit it the back of it. Wasn't a big deal, just need a sharp knife and a little time to make sure that I didn't break the door panel grill. This is my temporary setup but I've been using it for 1-2years now.

·
Registered
790 Posts
i havent had any problems with it, i mean its super glue its stronger than the plastic and as we all know by the pennies glued to the art room floor that that stuff lasts forever

·
Registered
339 Posts
ninety6v6mx6 said:
Yeah, I was considering using ABS. Parts Express has 1/8" sheets for sale:
I wouldn't waste the shipping cost. 95% of the plastics shops out there will be more than happy to sell you a piece only as big as you need. I always go to my local plastics shop for my ABS and plexiglass pieces.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MetalMatrix said:
The only thing I had to really do was shave off part of speaker grills because the speakers would slightly hit it the back of it. Wasn't a big deal, just need a sharp knife and a little time to make sure that I didn't break the door panel grill.
Is the grill removable from the inside?

If neccesary, I bet you could make a pretty good looking trim piece using ABS and mount the 6.5" grill to that, completely replacing the stock grill.

LakersFan - I'll look into local plastic shops for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts