Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 626 V6 and I need to replace my alternator. Has anyone attempted this? The repair guys says that he has to take out the radiator and the AC compressor to get to it, and wants to charge $150 (just for labor) Midas quoted me $180 for labor. If anyone has attempted this please let me know if you succeded and if so, how you did it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,196 Posts
So you're going to do it yourself afterall?

let me know when and I can come up and help if needed. And you're not in Kirksville anymore...change your location:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
save the 150 and do it yourself. i just replaced mine a week ago and it was a pita all you have to do is unbolt the compressor no need to disconnect the lines and i just drained my coolant and tilted my radiator up without taking off any hoses (5 or 6 too many with the tranny cooler lines)except the upper engine to radiator hose although i had someone hold it up for me.but it took me 1 hour to do.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I just had one question - when I looked at it, it seemed like tha AC compressor bolts are very hard to reach - are they easier to get to once you move the radiator out of the way? How did you get to them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
those are a PITA i just used a long socket wrench i didnt move the radiator but i suggest you do it will make everything easier especially putting the alternator back in just make sure you have something under the compressor so it doesnt dangle there and break a line or something.oh and when you are taking the alternator out ,the bottom bolt wont come out since the frame is in the way but when you lower it,you will see how it comes out through the front instead of sideways.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts