Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Did you find this helpful?

• Yes! This is what we needed!

Votes: 118 85.5%
  • It's OK but my system is my secret and it stays like that.

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Nope, we don't need a thread like this.

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Okay, we already know you have a turbo. Why don't you just boost away now.

Votes: 10 7.2%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
actually you're in luck, I'm off this coming week, so I can meet up any time you want, I'm kinda interested to check out your setup... I'm not very familiar with the v6 engine persay, but yeah I can help you with all the turbo side of it....just give me a call and let me know when you want to meet up....

-John
813-679-7753

·
Registered
592 Posts
Although this isn't my car, the info is on my server so I thought I should post the link.

800HP twin turbo KL V6

Need I say more. The car is built by an Australian race team / shop. I am sure if someone wanted to grenade a 2nd gen box these guys could help out with supplying a powerful motor.

·
Registered
427 Posts
my turn finally

93 mx6 ls w/ jspec swap

tkt vortech kit, its a v1 blower at 8psi

big blitz front mount 28 x13x3 i believe

tkts driveshaft and belt system, pacesetter headers to a straight 2.25 inch exuast, and 2inch intercooler piping w/ an hks super sequencial bov

265 lph inline fuel pump, dual feed fuel rails, and a cartech fmu for now

headers, full exuast, underdrive pulley(soon to be removed), rawpower stage 4 intake manifold, 68mm throttle body,
spec power stage 2 clutch, and 11# mx3 flywheel

no idea yet

actually it wasnt to hard

well once i got it here it took about 2-3 days to install and redesign everything that didnt work

ive got about 3000 into parts for the sc system and fuel mods

·
Registered
744 Posts
1995 Ford Probe GT 2.5 V6

Garrett T3 (T-Bird model) .48 exhaust side / .60 compressor side
*1.75" collector pipes mergine into 2.25" up to the turbo
* 2.5" downpipe, and full 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust to tail pipe
* Gets full boost (6 psi) by 2500 RPMs
* Internally wastegated w/ actuator & 5 bolt ford swing valve

Intercooler: Non-intercooled for this week, till the custom FMIC goes in. The core will be 26" long by 8" tall & 3" thick. Basically its got two 1st gen cores side by side with custom endtanks like this:

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, Vortech 12:1 FMU Stock FPR until replaced with a B&M civic adjustable FPR, Pressure switch controlling the 7th fuel injector (BMW cold start) that sprays at 4 psi and above.

Drivetrain: 98,000 miles presently, Stock internals, Southbend DxD clutch, stock lightenned 18 lb flywheel.

Special features: Autometer boost, A/F gauges, w/ digital fuel pressure guage, 3 gauge a-pillar pod.

So far so good with the car, its running strong.....with the exception of a faulty hybrid turbo that went bad....and is holding up great to the boostK KNOCK ON WOOD! Hopefully with the addition of all the new goodies I have been collecting the car will be a tad more reliable and maybe a little stronger. Boosted Probes & MX6's really do own!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX-6 LS 2.5L KLO3/KLDE V6 95

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T3/TO4e Turbocharger, turbine .63 stage III, compressor .70, External Tial 35mm wastegate vented illegally. Both units were bought new.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: StreetImports 23x9x3 Core with side to side endtanks, 2.5" in/out.

Piping/drive system for SC's: Lower a/c position. Custom made setup from the scratch. 1 3/4" from stock exh. manifolds to 2 1/2" where the 2 pipes merge behind the oil pan and go to turbo, 2.5" downpipe & exhaust system.

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, Cartech/Begi #2025 S-FMU (nice adjustable unit) for on-boost fueling. Bosch adjustable fuel pressure regulator all connected with stainless -6an line. 280cc Millenia injectors.

Engine/tranny mods: Rebuilt KL03 bottom end with stock shotpeened rods, new pistons bored .040 over, KLZE heads with 3angle valve job- ported and polished, KLDE manifold ported with removed VRIS 1. Mated to a Spec stage III 6 puck clutch via a Mx3 flywheel. Custom filled motor mounts.

Special features on your system: Autometer gauges for boost, fuel pressure and A/F.

Performance: Not dynoed but it's MUCH faster than stock. ;)

Was it hard to come up with this: It wasn't all that bad working with the piping but it became quite frustrating at times. I am sure everyone knows just how tight that mx6 engine bay is.

What is your knowledge about cars: I have been working on probes and mx6's for a couple years now and know the whole car pretty well... I have done everything from tranny swaps to engine swaps and rebuilds.

How long did it take to build your system: It took about 2 weeks to design, weld, fabricate and install the system. Definitely a lot more time researching and gathering parts.

How much money have you spent on this all: Most likely somewhere around 2000-2500 with all the labor being performed by myself.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Read, research and take your time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I am currently installing a turbo system on my 95 2.0 liter MX6.So far the turbo setup is a IHI turbo with a internal wastegate of a 91 ford probe 2.2 liter turbo doner car. I an also using all the other pcs of that car for my kit but Modded of course. I am also using a 91 PGT intercooler,Manual Boost controller, Autometer Boost/vac guage. I am using the stock 95 exhaust manifold, I cut the flange off the bottom of the collector and welded a new flange that mates up to the turbo on it. As of right now I am having some clearance problems with the turbo touching the engine but hopefully tommorow I will have that problem fixed.:shrug: the oil lines to the turbo and the oil return lines are already done and so far no leaks in the oil system. I used the instructions for the flyin protoge kit for ideas on how to run everything. The time I have spent on this so far was 7 hrs today. (installing the turbo) Countless hrs researching and looking for parts.So far I have spent about 400.00 for the turbo components and piping. Until monday when I order my walbro 190lb fuel pump. Before any body has to ask I was given the turbo and all its components for free.and I am a Mechanic and used to do metal machining so fabing the flange and welding it was no sweat. Hopefully tommorow I finish the install and then install the fuel pump and then let the fun begin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
im workin on a project car a mx6 twin turbo rebuilt motor with lightweight crank and new cams and gears. if you have any advice tell me

·
Registered
55 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: 1993 Ford Probe GT.

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T3/T04B turbocharger, basically a compilation of a few blown turbo's and some new bearings/seals.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: Two grafted T-Bird Turbocoupe intercoolers, or no intercooler...

Piping/drive system for SC's: My usual turbo behind radiator piping that I've made for several individuals on PT.

Fuel mods: Walbro 190lph fuel pump, Megasquirt w/Nissan injectors.

Engine/tranny mods: Stock, sheetmetal intake manifold that is currently off the car due to a pinhole leak in a weld... in a very hard to reach location.

Special features on your system: You can't tell it has a turbo unless you realllllly look under the stock air box, that is until the sheetmetal intake is installed.

Performance: 250hp @ 6~7psi

Was it hard to come up with this: Kein Problem

What is your knowledge about cars: Pretty good, a few years of serious work, machinist and engine builder.

How long did it take to build your system: The first system I did with the turbo in the battery location back in 2001 was a PITA and took about 20-25 hours spread over a week. Since I've gotten a few under my belt now, this one took only about 8-10 hours to complete including making all the flanges this time around since I was on a budget.

How much money have you spent on this all: Including megasquirt, fuel injectors, turbo, metal, intercooler, and some other misc. stuff a rough $700-750 not including my labor or tangables like welding wire/gas/electricity.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted:
It is NOT a cheap project unless you have a lot of time or can do it yourself.... if you have both, then you can complete the project for less than a quarter of retail, but don't expect to be lucky.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX-6 2.0L FS01 I4 '93

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T3 turbocharger, watercooled center jacket, turbine ..42, compressor .48. Integral wastegate.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: SRT-4 front mount intercooler

Piping/drive system for SC's: Custom made setup from the scratch polished aluminum 2.5" mandrel bent piping, 2.5" downpipe & exhaust system

Fuel mods: Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, aeromotive AFPR, Apexi SAFC 2, gen 330cc injectors

Engine/tranny mods: built motor je pistons pauter rods port and polished stainless valves, aluminum springs and retainers, SPEC III clutch mated with Fidanza 9lbs. flywheel.

Special features on your system: Autometer gauges for a/f, boost, oil pressure

Performance: Not dynoed but it's faster than stock. ;)

Was it hard to come up with this: It's not an easy task to create a pipe hassle like this. If you have the skills and knowledge, there is nothing to be afraid of on creating your own.

What is your knowledge about cars: I don't have education on working on cars, but spending 10 years around cars has given me a lot of knowledge. I learned the turbo fundamentals on reading and searching for the knowledge and asking around for things. Get Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. It's awesome reading for your boost addicted mind.

How long did it take to build your system: Well it took around 3 months for me to plan everything. instal was in 1 afternoon.

How much money have you spent on this all: I calculated under 2000USD so far on boost and fuel. I've been doing my own labour and that has set the price lower.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Gain your knowledge, plan before you do, don't be too itchy to save some dollars on critical things.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I have waited so long to do this... It's not running perfect, but it's to the point that I can finally add myself to the list

Car/Model/Engine/Year: 1993 Mx6 LS 2.5V6

Method of forced induction used: Turbo, Precision SC60 Oil cooled

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: Intercooled, Spearco Bar and Plate, 28x8.5x3 Core

Piping/drive system for SC's: Dangerous Dan Racing Hot pipes 1.875" Primaries to a 2.25" Collector, 2.5" Downpipe, Custom Intercooler Pipes, 2" Turbo to intercooler, 2.5" Intercooler to Throttle Body

Fuel mods: Millenia S 280CC Injectors, Dual feed Fuel rails, Tapped FPR mount, 6AN Feed and return, Aeromotive Dual AFPR, Walbro 255lph Fuel pump, GM quick disconnect fuel filter back by the tank, Removed OE filter

Engine/tranny mods: CZT 67MM TB, Magnacor 8.5MM Plug Wires,
VRIS removed, Tapped 1/8npt vacuum ports, GM Intake Air Temp. Sender, Megasquirt Msns Standalone Engine Management, RR-Racing Short Throw Shifter, RR-Racing Poly-Urethane Linkage Bushings, Clutchmasters Stage III Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel,
MSP Limited Slip Diff., RR-Racing Motor Mount Inserts
Blitz SSDD BOV, Tial 38mm Wastegate,

Special features on your system: I got the custom boost to no ends mod right now (Wastegate is bad)

Performance: Not dynoed, But feels damn good

Was it hard to come up with this: Not hard, Just time consuming.

What is your knowledge about cars: ASE certed Tech., Moddin is an Avid hobby of mine... Even still, It wasn't easy.

How long did it take to build your system: 2 Years, Mostly because I did change my mind on so much stuff, And at times had no time to work on it.. there were a few times it went 4-5 months with me not even looking at it.

How much money have you spent on this all: Turbo/Engine/Drivetrain- I guestimate somewhere near $9,000

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Definetly think about what you want long and hard.. Make sure you have the specifics down, and also take into account that a car like this sees just as much downtime as it does on the streets.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2.0LTurbo help

I have a 93 mx-6 4 Cylinder Ok so I have the turbo, manifold, oil lines, intercooler and piping, and blowoff valve, now before i put everything on do i need to change anything in the computer or can i just bolt it up and go, i have heard that just by putting on a fuel pressure regulator and giving it more pressure will do it but i dont know, I do know that since its a 93 i cant just reflash the computer so if anybody know what i need to do please help!!!!!!!!

·
Underconstruction
1,050 Posts
J-Flow said:
I have a 93 mx-6 LS 4 Cylinder Ok so I have the turbo, manifold, oil lines, intercooler and piping, and blowoff valve, now before i put everything on do i need to change anything in the computer or can i just bolt it up and go, i have heard that just by putting on a fuel pressure regulator and giving it more pressure will do it but i dont know, I do know that since its a 93 i cant just reflash the computer so if anybody know what i need to do please help!!!!!!!!
:lol: a 4 banger LS
if your car is an LS it should be a V6

·
Registered
349 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: 1993 Mx-3 GS BP swap (not V6)

Method of forced induction used: Garret T3/T4 Hybrid turbo TO4B V1/V2 with .63 Stage 3

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: Spearco Intercooler

Piping/drive system for SC's: Mandrel Brent 2 1/4 turbo to IC/ 2 1/2 IC to Trothle

Fuel mods: 3/8 Braided line from tank to fuel rail, 1/2 custom Fuel Rail, Bosch 340 Phytom Fuel Pump, 550 injectors (rx7) Aeromotive -10 1-1 fuel regulator

Engine/tranny mods: Ford Explorer trothle body, B6T connecting rods, stock pistons, ACT Xtreme clutch with 4 pucks solid. Home made LSD (jejej welded)

Special features on your system: Electromotive HPX with 8.5 Accel spark plugs

Performance: last time in dyno, 262whp @ 15 psi. 11.3 A/F Ratio

Was it hard to come up with this:

What is your knowledge about cars: My bestfriend for years is my mecanic, i learn with him everything

How long did it take to build your system:I have this turbo setup up with minors mods in another car (kia Sephia)

How much money have you spent on this all: Ufff, not much really

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: A good Bank Account

·
Registered
97 Posts
please help, MAJOR novice... just learning about cars

after reading all of the posts i have alot of questions, i plan on researching ALOT because thats what it seems everyone has done before even considering turbo... i do have a question that i dont think i could find on a website.... ive noticed that most people seem to have a 93 Ls-T 2.5L v6 and not to many other years, i have a 96 Ls m-edition... im not sure on what internals, turbo, or anything else i need or should get, i kind of figured id just copy someones set-up from here... now my question is: is it possible to just do that, and are there things in the way that i would have to relocate, modify, or move in-order to do that... thanks to anyone who can let me know

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just recently boosted the 2.0. Im running a modest 5psi for the time being to see how everything holds up. So far so good.

Turbo is a T3/T4 hybrid, 38mm wasgate and a 24x12x3 front mount(a pain to mount). BOV sounds great. Fuel is being managed for now by an adjustable cartech FMU. Need to do some tunning, running rich as hell a 5psi.

I bought the kit off ebay, xspower kit, and havent had a problem yet. Its been about a month and no problems besides having to relocate the radiator to the front side of the core support after destroying the first one.

The kit was ment for a Integra but that changed after cutting off the flang and welding on the mx-6 one.

·
Banned
1,541 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX6, RS-T 2.0L, Built MSP Bottom End, 1993

Method of forced induction used: Garrett T25 turbocharger, watercooled, turbine .42, compressor .48. Internal wastegate.

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: Spearco FMIC

Piping/drive system for SC's: Custom made setup from the scratch 2in. intercooler piping and 2.5in downpipe.

Fuel mods: Walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump, Vortec 12:1 FMU, Denso 330cc Injectors

Engine/tranny mods: Complete MSP bottom end including MSP pistons, rods and crank, Clevite77 main and rod bearings, Federal piston rings, Metal headgasket, mild ported and polished head w/ FSZE intake cam. As for the tranny, was completly rebuilt new 1,2,3 gears, all new syncros, and new shift forks, with a Spec Stage 3 clutch.

Special features on your system: Autometer Sport Comp Boost, Air/Fuel and Oil Pressure gauges. MSD 6a Ignition, Nology Hotwires.

Performance: Not dynoed or track tested yet, but have had many kills and at 6psi i will walk on an 97 Eclipse GST w/minimal mods (best friend got one and he runs 14.2 in the 1/4),

Was it hard to come up with this: Definatly was not easy, but my main goal was to build it right and build it STRONG...:muhaha:

What is your knowledge about cars: Im 22 right now and been working on cars since iv been about 12 with the father, got my first car wehn i was 15 which was a 90 Talon TSi AWD turbo.. And just about ever since then iv owned about 14 cars and they were all turbo, or i made them turbo...:D

How long did it take to build your system: Engine build up took me a couple months because of lack of time and trying to find parts. Turbo setup, got off one of my best friends....Dennis aka grangalen, thanks for the good price...:tup:, this project has just BEGUN....:muhaha:

How much money have you spent on this all: Well in all my mods, including engine rebuild and turbo setup, around $3000-$3500, and its still going because im still buying.....lol....its a never ending project.....

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Make sure you have enough knowledge before you attemp to build anything turbo. Definatly make sure you have the funds also, its better to pay more now, then pay less and have more trouble in the long run. Boosting is definatly HIGH MAINTANCE....

Most of my mods are in my sig., any other questions, just ask....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Car/Model/Engine/Year: MX6, LS, 2.5L V-6, 1993

Method of forced induction used: Clutched Eaton M62 Supercharger

Intercooled or not, type of your choice: Not at the moment

Piping/drive system for SC's: Custom 2.5" piping throughout

Fuel mods: Walbro 255lph high pressure fuel pump, Nissan 370cc Injectors, AFPR

Engine management: Megasquirt N Spark-extra + Stock ECU

Engine/tranny mods: XTD Sprung 6 puck clutch, MX3 Flywheel

Special features on your system: Boost, Oil pressure, Fuel Pressure and O2 gauges

Performance: Faster than stock, no dyno or track time yet

Was it hard to come up with this: It wasn't particularly difficult

What is your knowledge about cars: 7 years of formal training. B.S. in Automotive Technology from the #1 Ranked Automotive program in the U.S. (SIUC)

How long did it take to build your system: About two months. One month research and one month fabricating components

How much money have you spent on this all: My initial setup was around $700. Since then about $1800 has been spent on the system as a whole.

What is your advice for people who wants to get boosted: Research, research and more research. Make sure you do your homework and know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey did you have to custom your pipes? and did it say you were running stock headers?!? I'm researching alot on turbo-ing my ls. Its gunna be a tuffy but im looking forward to it...i just need info on pipes and IC's

·
Registered
527 Posts
last build was for the mx6 rs 2.0

i make it short

HIH VJ11 TURBO from a 1st gen $50.00

intercooler...neon srt4 $100.00

1st gen injectors 330.cc $40.00

FPR with gauge $50.00

intercooler pipes..$60.00

rubber boots $20.00

oil lines $ 40.00

total...$360.00 took 2 days to build. (1 day planning 1 day labor)

running 14.3 at 6psi with soft tires(still stock internals) car needs tunning i am on the rich to be safe.

not bad just 1 ten of a sec slower than my 350z. (i raced the 350 and my bro the mx6)

·
Banned
113 Posts
Mici said:
Doh. I'm the only boosted 2nd Gen? Oh well...

Mici
I've got a 2nd gen with a S/C in it. Boosted w/an Eaton M90 :muhaha: 230 SLK intercooler, Colt S/C Cams, MSD 6BTM w/Boost Retard, wallbro 255 fuel pump, Megasquirt, Melenia S injectors, and a MBX dual feed FPR are comming soon :D

21 - 40 of 84 Posts