Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hey todd, how much did ya get that bar for? we were talking aobutit last time me and u. but forgto to ask aobut price, haha.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This bar was quite expensive actually, since it is made by Greddy.

Cost: $105

From Dynamic Autosport in Irvine.

You can probably find the same style bar for less, though.

The nice thing about this bar is that the strut mount cutouts are a perfect fit - meaning no modification needed to sit flush with the chasis.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Oh yeah, I am still researching the Lower Tie Bar stuff, too.

I think that the Honda Civic or Acura Integra bars might fit. I am still collecting measurements and comparing different bars that are available.

I believe that the two bolts are 1ft 11in apart. So, just find a bar out there that is about that in mounting bracket separation.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I got both of my strut bars from eBay. They were both for 2gen mx6. I paid like $20 shipped for the front and like $25 shipped for the rear. I just eliminated the 2 outside holes and made the 2 inside ones bigger/slotted with my die grinder. It worked great and it was quite cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Why not get the Lower tie bar and rear strut tower bar from the dealership? The RSTB was @65$ with the brackets, the lower tie bar should be less than that. Adamturbo was making lower tie bars, perhaps a PM will clarify whether or not he still does.

anomaly..."quite expensive" at 105$? Thats cheap for something that looks as if its a quality piece. I paid more for mine and wouldnt hesitate for a second to do the same again. Sometimes...quality costs.

Gavin

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah, I realize that expesive is a relative term but I also realize that the majority of mx6/probe owners dont want to pay a lot of money for anything.

As for the lower tie bar, you can order from Mazda, get one from a junker, buy a used one from a previous owner, and make your own from 3/8" steel stock (there are directions for doing this somewhere around here or PT).

I was looking into something different for the lower tie bar than the regular run of the mill stuff already available. I like the look and the flirtation that is offered with the DC sports LTB I see on those honda/acuras running around.

Since they are usually polished or anodized aluminum-alloy bars, seeing them peek out from under the car gives that mysterious hint of something more to be expected...

That's all. Just continuing with the sleeper tradition of being much more than what is first observed!

·
Registered
934 Posts
On a related note: I bought an OEM RSTB from a member here a couple weeks ago. It is a quality piece, and you can definitely tell the difference. Now my DX is dope.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't know the name brand, It does'nt matter to me though. They work.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
They all will work. But to what degree? Personally I am of the mindset that a strut tower bar should be a structural brace first and foremost(looks?..eh whatevah) Its the german side of me I guess:)

Think tires for a sec. Sure (insert your local POS tire brand here) will work, but it wont work as well as...(Ill say Yokohamas). I count my pennies too, which is why I didnt say "BFGs" or "Michelin". Why would I spend (much) more for a very miniscule gain in performance? Its all about getting the most for the least, never the least for the least (and sometimes the most for the most when there is no alternative). unfortunately there isnt a very good way to compare all of the aftermarket STBs out there like tires, but you can get an idea of what strength/performance truly is.

linoleum...Like that OEM rear strut tower bar? Imagine something as strong (perhaps stronger even) for the front of the car. How much would you pay for something like that? (too bad this is a hypothetical question)

Gavin

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
A new OEM rear lower tie bar is about $80 from the dealer. My 91GT has both the factory rear lower and upper bars and it does make a noticeable difference compared to my old DX, which had neither.

I also have an adamturbo rear lower tie bar sitting around that I never did put on my old DX. PM me if you want it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
gavin said:
linoleum...Like that OEM rear strut tower bar? Imagine something as strong (perhaps stronger even) for the front of the car. How much would you pay for something like that? (too bad this is a hypothetical question)Gavin
Honestly, I'd pay a fair amount. If I could afford to put more into my 6, I'd pay the 150-200 or so for the Mazdaspeed version. Strutbars are a great upgrade for our swaying boats.

EDIT: Skip the Mazdaspeed, my first choice would be similar to Dutch's strutbar design. That thing looked STRONG.. and for 60-80 bucks, well worth it.

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Do you mean the old Corksport bar? I think Manifest and 2Rusty have that bar. Ive seen it on Rickyracers car. Its HUGEANTIC :eek: It is the definition of "overbuilt". No punyness here })

I have one of Dutchs bars, I can attest to its strength. A lot of people get wrapped up in aluminum and weight so much that the strength part gets overlooked. At the same weight aluminum is stronger. At the same size, steel is stronger. For my thinking, steel is the material to use for a strut bar.

Gavin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts