Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the 4ws 2-genners out there...

After a pretty fruitless bulkbuy on aus-cartalk which ended up with me and 4wsboy with useless rear swaybars I have bitten the bullet and am getting a new rear swaybar made up specifically for the 4ws 2nd gen mx6.

How do I know it'll fit??? Because they've got my original! That's right, I'm currently driving around sans-rear-sway-bar.

Pedders have taken the bar and have warranted to get a 20mm bar back to me within "about" a week. They're going through Whiteline in Sydney. Now before you all scream blue murder about the crap service our guys have had before from Whiteline I figure that by going through Pedders, a major customer of whiteline we shoudln't be treated with the same disrespect that the Probers got a while back when they wanted something done there.

Anyway, enough of the rambling...

If you want one they'll be around $220 each and you *should* be able to pick them up from your local Pedders, but you need to tell me if you're IN.

ARE YOU IN???

DO YOU WANT ME TO TELL PEDDERS TO MAKE A SWAYBAR UP FOR YOU???

I need to know this pretty soon.

BTW. If you're not sure, just hold off - it's no big deal. Once they've done mine they (whiteline) will have the template and doing more will be a doddle. It's just that if you want one now we'll be able to get them a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Definetly in.

BTW, how's your car handling without a rear sway bar ? Heaps of understeer ?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Do you think I could get one in Perth for the same money? {We do have Pedders in Perth you know...No bull !}
And one more question. Will it make much of a difference?
If you reckon it will, and if it’s about the same cost as for you guys then I'm in !
}) PK

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PK - absolutely no problem, they'll deliver to the Pedders store of your choice. Make a difference? I can only go on what everyone else says, and thats a yes with a capital y. Apparently it's the handling mod you do before anything else. ;)

LOSIHO - understeer? To be perfectly honest with you, punting around town and not going over 50-60k and going easy on my tyres I have noticed NO difference! Work that one out! XO

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the new sway bar today!!! Suweeet!

PK and Losiho: they are waiting for me to give them the thumbs up. I'll do that tomorrow.

PK - yours will be shipped direct to Cannington Pedders tomorrow - probably get there Thursday.

Losiho - yours is ready to go at Hawthorn.

4WSBoy- these are the goods. If you got your refund from K-Mac give whiteline a call.

Handling?? Haven't had a chance to take any major corners yet but the car is deinitely sitting "squat" as I go round corners and doesn't seem to have as much body roll.

Regarding the fit, the polyurethane bushes that came were slightly too large so I've asked Dave at Pedders to trim them all the same way they trimmed mine.

Installation was $35 so if you want to save the dough you could do it yourself easy or wait until the Mod day on July 22 (organising over at aus-cartalk.com)

BTW, they are blue with yellow bushes! Ah well, can't have everything eh?

All in all I've been pretty impressed with this effort seeing that the bar is "very" complex with 14 individual bends and they turned it around in 4 days. Full marks to Pedders Hawthorn and Whiteline Suspension (manufacturers) in Sydney.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Thanks Ric, I really appreciate it. Good news....perfect fit and manufacture.

Blue with yellow bushes ! Well, the blue bar will match my paint work ! :D

$35 sounds resonable, I'll get Pedders to install it.

I might make it down there on Wednesday or Thursday morning if possible.

Did Dave get a strut bar in for you to have a look at ?

BTW, does the new bar look noticeably "bigger" sitting under the car ?

G

·
ricdanger said:

Installation was $35 so if you want to save the dough you could do it yourself easy or wait until the Mod day on July 22 (organising over at aus-cartalk.com)

Its not being organised over at Cartalk..... :(
Its being discussed at probetalk.com(Center of my Universe) :D ;)
Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops! sorry bout that Jerry!

Losiho: Dave forgot the strut bar but ordered it in (store to store) whilst I was there. I've told him that I'll be back in on Thursday to take a look at it.

Can you wait until then??? ;)

There are 5 in stock in Australia, we'd get a great price (usually $220 each) if we bought them all!

·
Registered
886 Posts
$220 each ! That's a fair wack for a piece of steel ! ;)

I'll give you a call Ric, I might try and get down there on Thursday.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Pics of the bars

Ric my friend, how about some pics of the bars, with that ever so magical digital camera you own??

Show us the booty :idea:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sidefx: Sorry you'll have to wait until thursday till i get my car back. PIcs will come then.

Losiho: I also thought 220 was a fair whack, but it consists of 2 x brackets (red), highly polished alloy bar with adjusting tensioners. So there is a fair bit of engineering there. No doubt we'll be able to get them for less tho!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Well, if the price is right, and the bar is a perfect fit then it sounds like a goer (I've heard too many stories of strut bars that are (supposedly) designed for the MX6 but don't fit with serious bending/cutting.....ask Bob about that too !).

·
Registered
672 Posts
Damn Ric your quick at responding...

I post and before my browser even goes back into the Australia Forum there is a reply....

Your good real good!! :cool:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ok guys, I went to Pedders today to get my sway bar installed, and I'm happy. The whole car just feels more "locked in" when cornering now. A big thank you again to Ric for organising the bars for us. :)

On another note, the strut bar was there, and here's the goss:

- well made, good looking, nicely engineered.
- the Pedders computer insists that it is designed for front & rear, but it will definitely not fit the front of an MX6....the mounting points are no where near matching. It looks like it'll probably fit the rear, but I don't think I'll bother. Strut bars seem like a lot of money, and it looks like there are many problems with bars that claim to match the car they are intended for, but don't. Dave from Pedders also seems to think the front end of the MX6 doesn't need a strut bar as the struts are mounted close to the firewall.
- I also asked about a set of lowering springs for the 2nd Gen (just in case, like me, anyone here wants to lower their MX6 in future). Dave gave me a quote for a sports rider system with a 20mm drop (about an inch front & rear). The front & rear springs would be about $155 a pair, $246 for installation (about a 6.5 hr job !) and $88 for an alignment.

Food for thought.....and in the meantime, I'm very happy with the new sway bar ! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts