Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have a pic of a first gen with stock 2nd gen springs. Just wanting to see how much it lowers the car. What struts do you have if you have the springs. Thanks guys

Peace
Clint

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
PM Rebel2k4, he has them on his car with the 2nd gen struts. The rear struts have to be slightly modded to fit. The springs fit just fine. It doesnt lower the car that much about an inch or so. I would buy them over Eibach, it has the same amount of lowering for way cheaper and they probably ride better too??

I would tell you to search but it seems like all the threads have been deleted from the server move.

As for buying them, go to the ForSale threads and theres some guy parting out 20 2nd gen Mx6's. Im sure hes got lots of springs

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
A little off in your info, there. the springs on the rear don't fit "just fine" the 1g rear spring perch is too big for the 2g rear spring top. It doesn't seem to move around, though.

You will need the struts from the 2g, as this is what does the lowering.

The springs are the same compressed length. you will need camber bolts for the rear as the bolt holes leave the wheel in positive camber. I will try to upload a pic later of my car.

All in all, the only thing i need is new struts (just stockers with 120k on them), and some new swaybars. the ride is solid but not stiff.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
PICS!

The thing is level, and I wouldn't want it any lower unless I was making a cruiser.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
I was trying to remember something about the rear springs because they didnt fit like stock springs. I mean they fit fine but they werent perfect. I have 2nd gen dropzone springs. They sit just slightly lower than your car and Im running my stock struts. Even with dead struts the ride is great

What size are those tires?? Are the 55 series??

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
mx6GT91 said:
I was trying to remember something about the rear springs because they didnt fit like stock springs. I mean they fit fine but they werent perfect. I have 2nd gen dropzone springs. They sit just slightly lower than your car and Im running my stock struts. Even with dead struts the ride is great

What size are those tires?? Are the 55 series??
Your rear springs are probably not located in either spring perch since the 2g springs are smaller at the top and bottom than the 1g's, and that doesn't seem safe to me. That's why you need to get the 2g struts if you're using stock harware. If you're gonna lower it with just springs, might as well go with aftermarket 1g springs. The full 2g conversion lowers the car while maintaining wheel travel.

My tires are 205/55. they're on the 2g rim which is 6.5 wide.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
The top of the spring fit just fine and snug, I dont know if its the fact that the 4WS has rear struts (not sure if all Mx6's have that) but the rear perches were larger as you said. It wasnt that much of a difference since the springs dont move at all even when the car is jacked up.

Havent had any problems yet and Ive had them for about a week. You should see the roads that Ive been driving on to test these springs out. haha

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an 89 Mazda 626 DX with 150K miles on the car. I was thinking about swapping a 2nd gen suspension to my 626. Are all Probes, 626's, and MX-6's suspension setups interchangable? If not what would work best for me if I want decent clearance, comfort, and performance?

On my 97 Maxima, I have H&R Sport springs matched with shortened body Koni Sport Struts and it's a great balance between sport and comfort...much better than stock.

I was wondering if I could get the same results on my DX. BTW I have GT front and rear sway bars waiting to go on. As far as current suspension, all I have is a modified front strut bar and 15 X 6.5 wheels.

edit: Here's another question. Will the Ingalls camber kit suffice in bringing the rear back into spec? According to the site information, it'll adjust +/- 1 degree.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts