Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's a @*#&%^ rear sway bar?

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sway bars, roll bars, anti-sway bars by any other name..

Hi Crew,

I think the first project for Mixy is going to be the installation of an upgraded rear sway/roll/whatever the hell you want to call them bar. Looks like K-Mac or Whiteline is the go - and I'm deducting 10 points from K-mac for the crappy web site that doesn't have pricing on it :D.

So, I'm wanting to find out what you've got, and whether you like the way it makes the car behave.

By all accounts, it should be a piece of cake to install, but this is my first ever car-based project so I have to admit, it's a little scary :D Any hand-holding guides out there?

At this point, I'm going to say a big thankyou to everyone - I've learned a lot by just being here sponging off you all, and at least when I walk into the mechanics now I don't feel completely out of my depth.

You're all wonderful :tup: :tup: :tup: :E

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: Sway bars, roll bars, anti-sway bars by any other name..

CardinalBiggles said:
Looks like K-Mac or Whiteline is the go - and I'm deducting 10 points from K-mac for the crappy web site that doesn't have pricing on it :D.

Personally, I'd scrap K-Crap from your list completely, I've heard too many bad stories from different people about them.

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
Installing the Whiteline bar is only a piece of cake if you want to:
A) bash the brackets out so the bushes will fit or
B) Grind down the bushes so they fit in the brackets.

The bloody bushes they supply are the wrong size. The ones suspension shops supply are the wrong size too. :(

Im going to get the suspension place to drill out the stock mazda bushes to 18mm since I dont want to do the other two options.

I tried fitting the bar myself but the damn thing was so tightly fastened its not funny. Also I dont trust myself modifying the damn bushes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ODIN said:
Installing the Whiteline bar is only a piece of cake if you want to:
A) bash the brackets out so the bushes will fit or
B) Grind down the bushes so they fit in the brackets.
:eek: Out of interest, have you told Whiteline? They seem to be interested in talking to their customers, so maybe it'd be worth giving them that feedback.

What part number did you get - BMR71?

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Well i'm not 2nd gen but

I did got the whole lot and have the full system done
along with a few extra's
all sway bars ETC
my rear sway bar fits into the original braket with new bushes.
I'm using K-mac springs (progresive weighted, stock height with extra 2 windings ) New KYb's rear and Monroe front (No KYB's in the country at the time) Front and rear Camber kits (k-mac ones are the only decent ones, if it's one product K-mac make it's the camber kits and every good steering or race place seems to use them ) Plus my 2 new sway bars. Plus all new bump stops
I added my front new poly bushes

Did I notice anything ?

I have to say it's no easy to tell. You becasue everything is better ?
It's like when Wagon got new springs and shocks but still different

I think the real difference is when I have a load in the car or with the guys and your travelling (including racing) and you find that unlike when you firts got the car (shocks still good) the car does not bottom out through corners or thump and holds it's line really well.
If I had cut some height out it would stay almost flat into each corner but it has some roll but that I don't care I have massive comfort factor and even with poly bushes it hits but never looses it's line.
The real thin I have to say is, I remember Bambinator tellign me when he was following me in National park road, I was practically get my rear left wheel up in some tight left handers. I never noticed, even now I still don't notcie, but it's now happenign in higher speed corners
:D

·
Premium Member
3,053 Posts
CardinalBiggles said:
:eek: Out of interest, have you told Whiteline? They seem to be interested in talking to their customers, so maybe it'd be worth giving them that feedback.

What part number did you get - BMR71?
Yes thats the part number. Ive told them, but they said I should bring the car up to Sydney, which I dont have the time to do atm.

As far as I can tell the only bushes that fit are the stock mazda ones, all the other non genuine bushes that are "supposed" to fit the 2g mx6 dont. I found that out the hard way.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ODIN said:
Yes thats the part number. Ive told them, but they said I should bring the car up to Sydney, which I dont have the time to do atm.
Well, I wouldn't be taking mine there from here that's for sure.. :p If it's going to be a major head****, I might start with my O2s instead.

(Paging Mr. MX6 to this thread.. he was saying it was very easy.)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a 20mm K-Mac one, they had to custom make it for me off the stock one that Mr MX6 (Paul) sent them from WA (thanks Paul!). Assuming they still have the template/specs, they should be able to make more. I was dealing with 'Sidney' there, might help to ask for him, tell him Braden sent you. Price was about $220 delivered to Newcastle, I think they might have the same bushings size problem as Whiteline, the mechanics just stuck the bar on with the stock bushings instead, for $55 I'd rather just let the pro's do it for me ;) . Makes a huge difference to handling!
Just make sure you tell them you have the V6 4WS model or they might send you the wrong bar like they did with me initially!
Haven't heard anything but good things about Whiteline, assuming K-Mac kept the specs I doubt there is any difference between them now though.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Removal

The following illustration is an exploded view of the stabilizer bar and its related components.

1 Stabilizer Control Link
2 Stabilizer Bar
3 Stabilizer Bracket Bolt
4 Stabilizer Bracket
5 Stabilizer Bracket Nut
6 Stabilizer Bushing
7 Stabilizer Control Link Protector

1. Raise and support the vehicle.

2. Remove the two stabilizer bar-to-stabilizer control link nuts.

3. Remove the two stabilizer bracket nuts.

4. Remove the two stabilizer bracket bolts.

5. Remove the stabilizer bar from the vehicle.

Installation

NOTE:
Apply rubber grease to the inside surface of the stabilizer bar bushings. Align the bushing with the installation mark on the stabilizer bar.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Tighten the stabilizer bar-to-stabilizer control link nuts to 36-54 N-m (27-40 lb-ft).

Tighten the stabilizer bracket nuts to 36-54 N-m (27-40 lb-ft).

Tighten the stabilizer bracket bolts to 36-54 N-m (27-40 lb-ft).

This is for a 2WS car .. but the only difference is in the pictures . not the procedure.. it is virtually the same…
As the aftermarket bar doesn’t have installation marks this point is irrelevant..
and s for the torque numbers .. dont wory 2 much, just dont leave the bolts loose.. ;)
This is my white line bar installed

I just opened up the brackets by mildly taping/hitting them with a hammer till they fitted over the large polyurethane bushes supplied by white line..
I do believe you should use the supplied bushes, as the are firmer and will give better results..
Alternatively you can “trim” the poly bushes with a knife or using a bench grinder. A grinder will give the best results and be faster…
Good luck…

1 - 9 of 9 Posts